Ingraham Liberty Question 1

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by wbranko, Jan 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am beginning the restoration of an Igraham (Adams) Liberty clock (see photo). It is in rough shape. There are what appears to be the remains of a label in the bottom corner of the base (inside the pendulum compartment). It was clearly a very bright shade of green, and I can see a design on the corner of it (see second photo).

My question: Does anyone have a photo of what this label actually looked like?

20190115_130650.jpg 20190118_103656.jpg

2. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It's a special make for Charles Adams in Erie, PA (per the label in your second post) and would not appear in the regular production catalogues, used by Tran, at least for the most part.

5. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Jim,

Much thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for and confirms that the top part of the clock is original.

Unfortunately, I have found enough evidence to convince me that the base was a replacement done during a very early repair to the clock. During restoration, I have found evidence that the clock was dropped and repaired, and the base must have suffered "irreparable" damage at that time. I have not made up my mind whether to shop for a proper base, or just repair the base that the clock has to look period correct (some sanding on the top face and repairs to four holes that must have held whatever the original clock was).

Adams must have been a real marketing person. The green of the label reminds me of the old 1970s Plymouth/Dodge "limelight green". His patent must have expired, and Chrysler motors stole it!!!

:)

Thanks again for the great photos!

Bill

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

A search of the Message Board would have yielded this:

Ingraham Clocks

Scroll down to posting # 146.

Here's a teaser pic:

img_6607-jpg.jpg

I will vouch for it's originality including that center finial.

The center finial on your clock I strongly suspect is a replacement as are the ones present on the clocks shown in both the Worthpoint and icollector links.

RE: the base of your clock.

I'm not so sure I would be quick to write it off! It fits well and really looks like it is of walnut and shares a similar old finish with the rest of the clock. Also, note the base of the example shown in the Worthpoint link. That example also has a plain base of a somewhat different configuration.

Often these "gingerbreads" have variations in the cases. They might have been trying to cut costs with a simpler base?

Please send some good pix of the underside of the base and the back. Might be able to tell from those.

RM.

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nothing much about the label, the specific part of the inquiry. The picture in the link is none too clear.

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:

Besides addressing questions about the originality of your clock, including my thoughts on the base, I went back and read your other 2 postings (if I were you, I would have consolidated your questions into one posting; I actually had asked the moderators to do so but this doesn't seem to have occurred).

If you look at the link to which I post above, it also addresses the question about the gong. Mine has a bell shared by the alarm and the strike. Never had a gong. See the pix in the linked to post. I do mention in the posting I linked to above having encountered examples on-line where there was a gong and a bell. A similar bell would fit nicely with your finding of a central screw hole in the backboard and would sort of confirm the observations about my clock?

Finally, the label in my clock is a bit rough but it's the same color with some effort. See the posting I linked to above.

Here's a picture of the back of my clock:

libert clock.JPG

Just like yours.

I also show a partial image of the original pendulum in the posting I linked to. Did you mention the pendulum that came with it? Just in case, here's a more complete picture:

liberty 2.JPG

RM

9. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    RM,

Thanks for the very useful response! First of all, the pendulum...mine looks identical to yours. In this response I will post a photo of where I am with the clock case at this time. I have removed much of the old finish (and whatever that is in the finish!), and have exposed the wood underneath with the original stain. This will be shellac coated later this week, after I am done. However, I am also posting the top of the base which is visible now that the "yuk" is removed. As you can see, there are two holes on each side which clearly held "something" and the top of the base still has saw marks and is relatively unfinished. I can see only two reasons for this...a big rush at the factory using a recovered base, or a later period repair to a clock that had been damaged. After much thought, I can't in my mind make a case for this being turned loose by the factory...it would not have been typical of the quality of these clocks. So, I believe, this is a later replacement bottom...probably from early in the 20th century. Just my guess!!!

Also posted is a photo of the back interior of the clock as it sits today. You can see all the screw holes. The three in the bottom left hand corner are the alarm movement. The four at the top are obviously the main movement. Two in the middle surrounding the center hole are the gong that was there when I purchased the clock at auction...I am pretty sure this was a replacement, but not certain. The center hole appears, as you pointed out, to be for an earlier gong or bell. There are also other smaller holes that I can not explain. This clock was set up for the alarm and the strike to function on the central gong. I have seen some of these clocks set up this way, and others on a separate bell like yours. I think they probably did them both ways:???:

On the base, the angled blocks appear to be original, but the larger square blocks appear crude and added at some later time...possibly when the "repair" was made?

I have two choices here...looking for an original base (which will not be an easy task) or cleaning up the existing base and going with it. Either way I think the clock will be really nice when done!

Hope you find these photos useful!!!

20190122_100120.jpg 20190122_100221.jpg 20190122_100238.jpg 20190122_100442.jpg 20190122_100348.jpg

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I see what you mean about the base. Seeing some of the additional views, I too wonder if original.

RM.