Ingraham Identification

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Barnes, Nov 6, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Since we have some new members and viewers I thought I would try again to see if anyone has an idea as to the age and model name of this clock.
    Notice the pendulum rod's posotion on the works and maybe this might help in id'ing the works, thence the clock.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Attached Files:

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    No help from me Bruce.

I don't have a clue about the Ingraham model name or movement which is well identified. However, the location of the pendulum suspension point and up-side-down general arrangement gives rise to some mental exercise. It looks "all wrong;" until reckoned with clock mechanics.

Additionally, the orientation of the case may seem bizarre when compared with what is "customary."

Back to the odd pendulum arrangement: it is seen in other examples but not often. Below is a couple of snapshots of a New Haven up-side-down clock. The idea is the same but with a little different mechanics.

Attached Files:

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi Les,thanks for your comments and I like your clock, the "upside down" is a little different than mine.
    It is a very interesting clock and it really looks nice on a white wall.Finish and dial are original...............just wish I knew what it was and how old it is.
    Bruce

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, a look through Tran's Ingraham book gives a few clues. There is a wall clock called the "Gallery" shown with this movement, but with no date. Another wall clock, the Hartford from 1911 has the beaded look molding, as does the Solar, a square wall clock from 1915, with probably the same movement as yours, going by position of the wind arbor. So although Tran missed yours, good chance it fits into this time period.

5. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Great info Harold and thanks.....I am beginning to get the impression that the manufacturesr played around with design and movement and thet did not always appear in a catalog.There are no extra holes or marks inthis case and you can see the shadow on the back board of the movement and suspension mount.
    Regards,
    Bruce

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The movement in Bruce's clock seems too early for the 1911-1915 time period. It has no month/year dates on either side of the handshaft, but does seem (its not too clear) to have the Oct. 1878/Nov. 1879 patent dates of movements earlier than April 1897, when the month/year dating began.

The winding arbor position on the 8-day T/O Ingraham movements was generally the same for many years, between the "6' and the "7."

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Steven and Harold your information helped to give this clock,via the movement.a plausible time frame.
    This little movement works very well and the case and it's shape are an eye catcher.
    Bruce