• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Ingraham Grecian shelf clock

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
While not a rare clock, this neoclassical design in a Rosewood case by Ingraham is still attractive today. It is the E. Ingraham Grecian that I picked up at an online auction last week.

I have read that Ingraham made these clocks from 1863 to 1883. The clock has 3 patent dates on the label, 1862, 1868 and 1871. Given the last date and the fact it is 8-day with alarm, I would say around 1880. There were also 30-hour versions with and without alarm. Curious that it has a cast brass bell.

The case is pretty dirty, has an incorrect minute hand, the pendulum bob is probably a replacement, the painted zinc dial is in good condition, the dial pan has separated from the brass bezel, losses around the chapter ring and has a few minor veneer losses here and there (difficult to see until I cleaned the dirt off the case).
Came with an E. Ingraham winding key which I'd like to think is original. The movement is in remarkably good shape and stamped E. Ingraham & Co., Bristol Conn. Having trouble locating a 2 3/4 inch moon minute hand.
Harris and Sons auction photo (2).jpg Harris and Sons auction photo (4).jpg RS Ingraham Grecian_6.jpg RS Ingraham Grecian_3_2.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
If the movement does not carry the commonly seen October 8, 1878, and November 11, 1879, patent dates, I would suggest a date for the clock some time between 1871 and 1878. The company name on the label was used until July 1880.

Nice clock, BTW, one of my favorite styles. I have a Mosaic Grecian myself.

Reactions: Rockin Ronnie

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
The Ingraham family members created some notable case designs over the years.

I have a hanging version except it used alternate woods in the bezel and rosettes so it is very attractive.

Andy Dervan

Reactions: Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Thanks, everyone. Excellent information. The clock looks as good now as it did many years ago, unlike some clocks that don't age well.

That I can date it within 5-6 years is a plus.

The first two photos are auction photos and used with permission (should have mentioned that).

I have spade hands that fit so, they will do for now.

Once I get the case cleaned up further and the movement serviced I will post some photos.

Ron