Ingraham Gallery

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Dec 11, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Just won this clock and I know deep down inside that it is a possible marriage,but if so they did a nice job.
    I wanted a nice clock for the bedroom,one that doesnt "blow reveille" and fits with the decor, and with the beaded frame and size (16" square) this should fill the bill.
    If anyone happens to have an Ingraham book and could look for me it will be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Bruce 78414.jpg 78415.jpg 78416.jpg

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nothing in my Ingraham book, Bruce. The movement is pictured in the "Corrugated Gallery" clock.
    Nice looking timepiece.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Harold, what is a "Corrugated Gallery"?
    Bruce

4. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tran doesn't explain, but I suspect it is an early form of plywood, where layers of wood are built up to form the case. Tran dates it to around 1880, based on a presentation plaque on one he shows.
    The closest looking case to yours is the Solar, with beaded molding, from 1915. It may have the same movement, as the wind arbor is positioned the same.

5. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Great information........was the Solar hung square or hung at an angle like mine? The works are marked "patent oct 8,1879". Since I dont have the clock yet I cant tell for sure but the backboard looks like it has some similarities to plywood
    Bruce 78434.jpg

6. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The solar is hung square, with a 10 inch dial, and 21 inch case.

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks again Harold, when it arrives I will check the backboard,glue joints,hinges etc........this may be a marriage or an anomaly,?quien sabe?
    Bruce

8. Here is my "Corrugated" gallery. I don't have my resourse books with me, so I can't comment with any details. I believe the clock came in at least three sizes, mine being the middle size with a 12" dial. Solid oak case with the same movement you have in your gallery.

https://mb.nawcc.org/album/thumbs/2/33d4c4ca99b2eec879ea253958658e34_2016.jpg?dl=1292424824

9. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Jim,your gallery is beautiful and I trust you have it prominently displayed !!
    My clock should arrive today or tomorrow and I am anxious to see the case,hinges etc, and its age related condition,it may be a marriage but it looks like a nice one.
    Merry Christmas,
    Bruce

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Six sizes, actually, per Tran: 10", 12", 14", 18", 20", and 24", walnut, chestnut, and gilt, though gilt seems to have come in only the 14", 18", 20", AND 24" sizes. In fact, the 24' seems to have been only gilt.

11. Thanks Steven... I didn't remember such a wide range of sizes.

12. neighmond

neighmond Registered User

Jan 31, 2003
    Horologist, Teacher of Horology
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it's a marriage, they must have hatched at least a couple of babies.....I overhauled one similar to it in 2004.

13. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi Neighmond,do you recall any of the particulars on the clock and it's overall construction..............cant find any thing as of yet.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

14. neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It had about ten brushed on drippy coats of enamal paint on it, that must have been some old tank paint or some da-- thing-You couldn't put a mark in it.

The back was pine, and the grain sat on a bias like yours, but I can't recall if there was a hole for the pendulum.

At some point in its life it had fallen off the wall, the corners were held together with those steel affairs that you buy to hold storm windows and that together.

The dial was paper in a metal pan, and was held in by screws along the outside edge. It had the name of a butcher on it, and was sort of dingleberried to fit in. I recall fighting it to get it apart, and fighting it again to get it put back in there.

The movement was a time-only rear mount movement with rear pendulum, and the pendulum suspension was a stud that was fixed to the backboard near the top of the case. I seem to recall the escape wheel and verge being between the plates to the rear, and sort of a thimble rig crutch that gave me no end to trouble getting it to run when we hung it up, but once adjusted right ran forever (it's still doing fine, as far as I ever heard.)

If I can get a hold of the people maybe they'll let me go take a picture of it.

15. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks for the information and the time you took.............I am continually surprised at how people treat clocks,but then they may only see the function and not the total intinsic beauty they show and give.Merry Christmas,
    Bruce

16. neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
    Rural Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, it hung in a meat market for years and years, and I only saw it after it wouldn't run for a few years. As I recall, they had to knock the paint off around the case to get it down for me to fix because they just left the thing up and painted around it.

He asked me if I would refinish the wood too, but I wanted another hundred to do it and he decided not. I guess in the back where it was, the health department wanted everything so you could wash it with soap and water, so maybe that paint is a good thing.