Ingraham Electric

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
Does anyone have a strike mechanism similar to this one? It comes from an Ingraham Cathedral Model. I beleive that there is something missing, but its been so long since I've done one that I can't remember it exactly.

Sorry, forgot to include the link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18148309@N00/

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
What does it look like? (pic(s))
There was an Ingraham strike mechanism that was totally unique - no countwheel, rack, or strike train! Is yours like that?

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by glr1109:
I'm sure you're thinking of the one I'm speaking about. I've re-posted the link above.
That's it! :) Looks complete, apart from the fact that I cannot see the hammer lever at all.
Very clever design, and works as follows:
The cam on the left rotates in an hour, and at the hour, the lever drops when the notch lines up on the strike wheel, so that it is pushed on to the conical boss that moves against the spring, and the hook clips on to the 12-hour notched cam. The hammer then strikes until the hook comes out of the notch, and the pins are clear of the hammer lever.
A very ingenious and simple solution!
HTH

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Right - the hammer is all present and correct then.
I like anything like a strike or chime mechanism that does not follow the usual rules, and has a simple design.
Like one of these, or the Henry Ward striking using the pendulum for its power.

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
"or the Henry Ward striking using the pendulum for its power"

I'm not familiar with this one. Can you post photos?

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Originally posted by glr1109:
"or the Henry Ward striking using the pendulum for its power"

I'm not familiar with this one. Can you post photos?
I haven't got a picture handy - there is one in one of my books somewhere, and if I find it, I will post it. This description may help - it would be used on a fairly heavy pendulum, and consists of the following parts:

Normal snail on hourwheel, and normal rack.
Rack hook has an arbor that operates the hammer - each tooth of the rack sounds a blow.

Arm on the pallet arbor that has a pivoted gathering hook that gathers up the rack when it is deployed - it normally is parked out of the way of the rack where it is held by a light spring.

The hook also has an arm contacted by a pin on the end of the rack.

The only other item is a flirt that is raised and dropped precisely on the hour, against a spring.

This is how it works:
Some 15 nimutes before the hour, the rack hook is raised about so the rack falls, and lowered gently (so a blow is not struck) just before the hour.
At the same time, the flirt is raised and dropped on the hour - this flicks the gathering hook into the rack, where it is gathered up as the hook is pushed to the right by the pendulum.
Each tooth of the rack sounds a blow using the hammer on the rack hook arbor.
When the last tooth is gathered as the pendulum swings to the right, the pin on the rack contacts the arm on the hook; when it swings to the left, the arm and hook are rotated into the 'parked' position. Hopefully, the clock will still be going after it has struck 12 !!

Does that help? I will try to do a drawing and maybe start another post.

The idea came from ca 1710, IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
Hopefully, the clock will still be going after it has struck 12 !!
That was my thought when I first read your reference!

As far as the Ingraham...do you have a photo, or one to look at? Is there supposed to be some sort of "bushing/washer" between the gear and the snail? Obviously I havent' gotten mine to work yet. I've also uploaded a photo of the snail...

Last edited by a moderator:

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I am hoping that someone can still provide a photo for this mechanism. Or some advice on why the "hammers gear" isn't being pushed into a locking position.

thanks
greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmelfelt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff