Ingraham Count Wheel Question

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I just cleaned and reassembled an Ingraham for testing. As I'm still learning and inexperienced, and this movement is not exactly like the Ingraham in Conover's Strike book, I could use a little bit more help from any expert willing to chime... or, ahem... "strike"... in.. ;)

As the movement is currently assembled, the hour and 30-minute strikes occur at about x:10 and x:40 instead of x:00 and x:30. Here's a pic just prior to striking the hour...

IngBeforeStrike.jpg

Pin A, small arm B, and brass collar C are all attached to arbor D. Small arm B drives pin A, which swivels loosely around arbor D until arm B contacts it.

One more pic, and then a hopefully clear question....

IngAsStrike.jpg

Should lever A, after being tripped by and falling off of pin A (as labeled in the previous pic), land on brass collar B in this pic, or on arbor C itself? If I bend that lever enough to get it to land on the arbor instead of the collar, the clock strikes as it should, but still 10 minutes too late.

Obviously, I don't completely understand this movement yet. Thanks for any help anyone's willing to offer.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
B in your first photo is bent. The end of the half circle pushes the trip lever. Yours is bent so the center is pushing it. That is why it does not strike at the right time.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It will become more obvious when you get the clock apart. Ingraham had some odd contraptions on their 'set backwards' mechanisms.

A few weeks ago someone posted a close-up photo of one of these features, out of the case. Yours may not be exactly the same though.

Willie X

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I've had it apart, Willie... Lol... Sure didn't show up on my bench that clean! I'm just not familiar enough (or smart enough?) to tell what's supposed to happen all of the time. Thanks for the suggestion re looking dor other pics. Here's what I needed to see...

RC and wow to the rescue

Thanks again, guys!

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Glad you found that thread, Muse. I also remembered seeing it but couldn’t find it. I remember the first time I saw one of those. I wonder how someone came up with the idea of inventing such a contraption:???:?

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
Glad you found that thread, Muse. I also remembered seeing it but couldn’t find it. I remember the first time I saw one of those. I wonder how someone came up with the idea of inventing such a contraption:???:?
I have no idea, but there's certainly no shortage of interesting, quirky, ingenious ideas in the clock world... so much fun.

Just wanted to stop back in to this thread and let you know that that was, indeed, the solution. Clock is now back together, looking nice and running nice. The face itself is pretty shot, and the thin brass moulding/bezel that is tack-soldered on and holds the face to the main bezel is a mess, but I managed to get everything mounted and lined up so it looks OK and and the arbors are centered enough in the openings to allow winding.

This is as she sits now. Three applications of Joel Warren's formula (twice w/ 0000 wool, then once with soft cotton cloth), one coat of Carnuba, and strip and polish of the brass bezel. Pretty little clock... an Ingraham "Colby."

IngrahamColby.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry