ingraham count wheel issue

Michael V

Jan 19, 2010
Webster, NY
Country
ingraham count wheel issue - with photo

hello again,

I have a 1941 Ingraham movement that I rebushed and am now having a
problem with the little paddle gear that drives the teeth of the count wheel.
The part had a crack (see photo) that caused it to be loose on it's arbor so I closed the crack and soldered the part and thought I was all set for assembly but now I find that it does not mesh with the teeth of the count wheel properly to advance it. The part will push the wheel once but on the next contact it finds the top of the tooth rather than more of the side of it to push it forward so it just binds. it doesn't seem to be due to my fix and it looks like I was the only person that tore this movement down but yet it looks like it could have never worked properly.
I went online and bought another old movement that's similar for parts but I may not be that lucky.
Any ideas how to get this to work?

Thanks very much.

Michael

xyzzytom_214489

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
hello again,

I have a 1941 Ingraham movement that I rebushed and am now having a
problem with the little paddle gear that drives the teeth of the count wheel.
The part had a crack (see photo) that caused it to be loose on it's arbor so I closed the crack and soldered the part and thought I was all set for assembly but now I find that it does not mesh with the teeth of the count wheel properly to advance it. The part will push the wheel once but on the next contact it finds the top of the tooth rather than more of the side of it to push it forward so it just binds. it doesn't seem to be due to my fix and it looks like I was the only person that tore this movement down but yet it looks like it could have never worked properly.
I went online and bought another old movement that's similar for parts but I may not be that lucky.
Any ideas how to get this to work?

Thanks very much.

Michael

xyzzytom_214463
It sounds like either the gathering pallet(paddle) is not advancing the wheel quite enough or the horseshoe spring/count wheel retainer isn't holding enough tension on the wheel allowing it to roll back a little and the pallet colides with the tip of the tooth on the next rotation.
Your photo didn't come through.

Last edited by a moderator:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
For some reason, I can't get your picture to show by itself (for enlarging). Does it have two pins on top of the lantern pinion?

Michael V

Jan 19, 2010
Webster, NY
Country
I oiled between the horseshoe and the wheel so I'll try cleaning it off and check the tension.
I added the photo (again). Thought I saw it there when I posted it. I always have problems posting photo's.

Thanks for your reply.
Much appreciated.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There may be incorrect depthing between the count-wheel and the drive pinion. This pinion's pivot is prone to wear and this can cause the issue you have. The drive (extended) pinion should not come close to going point to point. Each movement sets up the count-wheel for the next movement. So, the movement needs to be just right. The movement you have is short.

Hope this helps, Willie X

Michael V

Jan 19, 2010
Webster, NY
Country
Thanks very much for your reply Willie.

So the piece that I fixed the crack in is worn and now too short?
Can I build it up with solder or is solder too soft?
what are my options?

Thanks

Michael V

Jan 19, 2010
Webster, NY
Country
Re: ingraham count wheel issue - with photo

Anyone out there know how many teeth the count wheel advances for every nudge it gets ? Mine uses a brass paddle and seems to want to go beyond 1 tooth but another old movement I have that uses 2 pins to advance the wheel advances it 1 tooth per pin.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

It should only go one tooth at a time, if you want a proper count.

Michael V

Jan 19, 2010
Webster, NY
Country

Thanks Harold.
After I thought about my question, I was just going to post how I wasn't thinking when I asked it. It can't move more than 1 tooth to count properly.
i may be able to alter the brass paddle shaped part that advances the count wheel. I can't understand how this part ever worked unless someone was into this movement before and tried to make this work.
i can also just replace the little paddle with 2 pins like the other movement I have uses. The holes are there to just press pins into. I like the idea of the brass part though for its relative softness and would be less damaging to the count wheel teeth.

thanks again for responding.

michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry