Ingraham Clocks

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Steven Thornberry, Nov 5, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #1 Steven Thornberry, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Ingraham is listed in the pantheon of American clockmakers but is not highly regarded by some. Ingraham clocks do not, by and large, command the top dollar that others do (e.g., no weight-driven clocks), but they made a good journeyman clock, some of which are fairly desirable. It was my thought that we start a thread on Ingraham clocks. It was believed that one existed already, but I failed to turn it up. So why not see what is out there?

Here are the Mosaic Grecian, the Oriental, and the Dew Drop.
    Mosaic Grecian.JPG Mosaic Grecian Movement 1.JPG Mosaic Grecian Large Label.JPG Mosaic Grecian Small Label.JPG

Oriental 1.JPG Oriental Label.JPG Oriental Movement 1.JPG

Dew Drop.JPG Dew Drop Movement 1.JPG

2. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #2 Steven Thornberry, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Followed by the Ionic and the Reflector. The Reflector case was also used for Ingraham's Ionic Calendar (B.B. Lewis movement), but had a much smaller pendulum. Both from the 1880's.

Ionic.JPG Ionic Movement 1.JPG Ionic Movement 2.JPG Ionic Label.JPG Reflector.jpg

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #3 Steven Thornberry, Nov 5, 2009
    Two cabinets and two walnuts.

The Eclipse Cabinet (1890's) made for the American Wringer Co.
    Eclipse Cabinet.jpg Eclipse Cabinet Label 2.jpg

The Cabinet No. 2.
    Cabinet No. 2.JPG Cabinet No. 2 Label.JPG Cabinet No. 2 Mvmt Front.JPG

The Topaz
    Topaz.JPG Topaz Movement 1.JPG

The Onyx.
    Onyx.JPG Onyx Movement 1.JPG

4. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #4 Steven Thornberry, Nov 5, 2009
    Two more from the early 1880's, the Episode and the Acme. The Acme is often found without the top crown. In fact, that's how mine came until I found a junker case and appropriated what I wanted.

Episode:
    Episode.jpg Episode Gong.JPG Episode Movement 1.JPG Episode Movement 2.JPG

Acme:
    Acme 3.JPG Acme Inside Base.JPG Acme Movement.JPG Acme Movement 2.JPG Acme Pendulum.JPG

5. melikesclocks

melikesclocks Registered User

Feb 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's my Ingraham "Treasure" banjo clock. Bim-bam strike on hour with a single chime passing strike on the half hour.

Eric

Attached Files:

6. mikeinjax

mikeinjax Registered User

Apr 30, 2008
    Male
    Aircraft Sheetmetal Mechaic / retired
    Lake City, Fl USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not a very good picture! The Rose by Ingraham about 1896

Attached Files:

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #7 Steven Thornberry, Nov 5, 2009
    Eric and Mike: Both great looking clocks. Here's my own Treasure banjo surrounded by the Saybrook (small green lever movement banjo) and the Bristol (ca. 1890, but with a later replacement Ingraham movement from 1925; still waiting for the right one - pendulum also a replacement.)

Treasure et al..jpg

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #8 Steven Thornberry, Nov 5, 2009
    A second banjo grouping - from the left, the Neptune (like the Saybrook except for the picture), the Nyanza (replacement door glass) - and there's that Reflector again (the same one, not a second one).
    Nyanza et al.jpg

9. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Steven for a trip down Memory Lane for many of us. I love this maker and have many of their clocks in my colletion to include the Ionic, Dew Drop, Nyanza and may others.

Here is a picture of one of my favorite common black mantels for everyone's enjoyment.

Attached Files:

10. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Richard T., Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    Below are a couple. One is the "King" the second is a walnut parlor clock that I haven't identified as yet. I saw the same model a few years ago at a Regional and it had a label. I made a note of it and then misplaced the note:confused:

Best,

Richard t.

-> posts merged by system <-

Here is an Ingraham Kitchenette No. 1, an Ingraham Bull Durham (commonly called a store regulator) also in that photo a Nyanza with an eagle instead of the wooden finial. It is time & strike and I also have the same clock, time only with the correct finial.

The last photo is a picture of an Ingraham "Reliance" simple calendar. This was a repair and I don't have a photo of the case at the moment. It is a nice large wall clock.

Best,

Richard T.

-> posts merged by system <-

Here is another "Treasure".....

Richard t.

Attached Files:

11. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard T. , you have a beautiful collection.

After I get my other knee replaced (right knee in January), we will have to get together. I think you recently experienced knee replacement. I had my left one done in September.

Maybe, you can come help me unbox some of my collection. LOL

You have displayed your Ingraham Treasure before. It is a wonderful example.

How is your Fashion coming along?

12. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Elias Ingraham was a wonderful case designer. He lived to 1885 and I believe he was responsible for case designs starting with the steeple and continuing through the Grecian, Huron, Oriental, Ionic, and others of this period. I am surprised at how few Ingrahams I have. The first pictured is the fourth clock I ever owned, purchased in the late 1960s. It's a Brewster & Ingraham's 30-hour brass-spring steeple. Next is an Art Deco era clock-lamp. Ingraham's name is on the dial; I don't know whether they produced the entire piece. Next is an Ingraham "radio clock," that is, an electric clock in a case that looks like a radio cabinet. At this time, Ingraham was making radio cabinets, which are considered desirable by antique radio collectors. Finally is an Ingraham "Sentinel Wafer" designed for Ingraham by famous industrial designer Henry Dreyfus.

Attached Files:

13. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #13 Steven Thornberry, Nov 6, 2009
    Here are a beehive by E&A Ingraham, with a movement supplied by New Haven (E&A did not make their own); and a Brewster and Ingrahams Steeple with signed movement. Each has an excellent label, and both are case styles first designed by Elias Ingraham.

E&A Ingraham.jpg E&A Ingraham Movement 001.jpg E&A Label 1.JPG Brewster and Ingrahams Steeple.jpg Brewster and Ingrahams Steeple Mvmnt.jpg Brewster and Ingrahams Steeple Label.jpg

14. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I like your black mantel, Lamar. I think Ingraham designed some nice looking black mantels and may have been the first to popularize this type of clock. I believe they patented their own japanning method, as well.

15. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Richard: Polite and Savage's website (antiqueclockspriceguide.com) has a few examples of your unidentified walnut, and one came up on eBay a few years back. None have identification. For some reason, I seem to remember this coming up on the message board a while ago, but I can't lay my finger on it. It is, in any event, a beautiful clock.

16. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes Steven, this was discussed previously (unknown walnut parlor). I will have to search for it and take a look at what was posted.

Lamar,

Hope you are doing well. I did have both knees replaced, one in Sep 08 and the other Jan 09. All is well.

Seems that time passes so quickly. One must be tough to get old. I had carpal tunnel surgery in Aug (x2).

It would be a pleasure to help you unpack your collection. We can discussd that by PM or email later.:) The Fashion is progressing slowly. Seems that there have been a lot of other things going on. I will update that later.

Best,

Richard t.

17. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  18. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #18 Steven Thornberry, Nov 6, 2009
    Here is the link, Richard. Finally found it. We didn't get very far with it then either.

Below is the one black mantel I own. It may be the Zenith, ca. 1907. The movement is dated November 1903, and per Chris Bailey's section on black mantels in Trans Ingraham book, the Zenith was produced 1907-16. The dimensions are correct. The topper is nor original, nor did the ewers come with it.

Black Mantel Zenith.jpg

19. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #19 Steven Thornberry, Nov 6, 2009
    Jeremy posted a very nice looking clock lamp. Here is another, made by A. Schadow and Sons, 353 Canal St., NYC, for James Radin Inc. I have seen a number of Schadow clock lamps, but know nothing about the company or about James Radin.. A lack of serious research. The globe on mine is not original but looks good.

Figure and Lamp.jpg

20. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Two of my Ingrahams

Attached Files:

21. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had forgotten that I had these two. The first is a 30 hour Octagon Doric. The second is an eight day, possibly the octagon Doric Extra with columns (minus any gilding that might have been there). It has the barrel pendulum shown on the Britannic, Baltic and Idaho ??:confused:

Best,

Richard T.

Attached Files:

22. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #22 Steven Thornberry, Nov 7, 2009
    I own five Dorics (I am a little buggy, I admit), but will post only three, an 8-day Octagon Doric, a 30-hour Candy-stripe Mosaic, and an 8-day with gold columns. I will also put on a 30-hour Venetian with a Noah Pomeroy movement, dated about 1865, perhaps a bit before or after (Ingraham began making their own movements in 1865).

Octagon Doric.jpg Doric Candy-stripe.jpg Doric Column.jpg Venetian 2.JPG

23. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #23 Steven Thornberry, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    A couple of cabinets, the Como (1907) and the Calais (ca. 1934). Also, a pair of "banjos." The one is the Navarre (ca, 1925), sometimes referred to as a modified banjo; the other is the Yankee Clipper (1934).

Como.jpg Calais 001.jpg Banjo Group 3.jpg

24. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is my favorite Ingraham, and 8 day scroll front stencil, E. and A. Ingraham, with a late Brewster and Ingrahams label, from around 1852.

Attached Files:

25. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #25 Steven Thornberry, Nov 10, 2009
    I've always liked that one, Harold. Nice find. Here's a couple of simple Octagon drops, the smaller one from the 1880's, the larger from 1930. I think it may have been used in a school room. It has the number "1" stamped on the dial, which may have been some sort of inventory control number. Also, I will add the one I'd grab on the way out the door (it actually is near the front door), the Ingraham Calendar.
    Small Drop Octagon.jpg Drop Octagon.JPG Ingraham Calendar 002.jpg

26. clockhoarder

clockhoarder Registered User

May 14, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Something I have been wondering about and Google is no help, Does anyone know the name of or have a picture of the first black mantle clock that Ingrham made? I have been curious seeing as how Ingraham were the ones to develop and patent the process to imitate the slate clocks

27. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Tran's Ingraham book contains a section by Chris Bailey discussing Ingraham's black mantels. It includes a section of production dates for the various models. The earliest date I've found in a quick scan of the book is 1881. Several clocks are mentioned for that year; many were iron cased or a kind of ebonized or enamelled cabinet clock. But which was first of the production line I could not say. I'm also not aware that there was a prototype model. I've always thought some of the earlier models were back mounted and/or had a gong mounted across the bottom of the case, rather than upright in the case, but I've made no systematic study (which might be interesting, if enough data could be obtained).

28. clockhoarder

May 14, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I have several that are mounted to the backboard and the movements have pins versus bolts holding the plates together. The earlier ones also have a gong that is very heavy and loud, as well as no feet, or just smal brass tacks as feet.
    I have one that resembles the "Wizard" model but is smaller and at first glance looks like a french slate clock, ( What is reffered to as the boundry marker style I think) but has no evidence whatsoever of there ever being a label on the back, where pretty much all the others that I have there is at least a label or the remains of one.

I know that I will be asking for the Ingraham book for Christmas!

29. ClocksCollector

ClocksCollector Registered User

Aug 14, 2005
    Here are a few of my Ingrahams. The most unusual is the Mosaic with the Roman letter IV rather than the usual IIII. The mantel with an alarm is also rather rare.

Attached Files:

30. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #30 Steven Thornberry, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    The Mosaic Grecian is a nice looking case. The dial does not strike me as original, however. It appears to be silvered, which strikes me as wrong for this model.

31. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    I will remove the dial and have a look for extra holes in the wood. Anything else I should look for?

32. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nothing else strikes me at first glance. These were made between 1871 and 1883 (I have also seen 1871-73, but that may be a misprint), that's why I thought the dial a bit strange. I would have expected a painted dial or papered. The movement should have either no dates or patent dates of Oct 8, 1878, Nov. 11, 1879.

33. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    Hi Steve, I removed the dial and found no extra mounting holes. The grommets (back side) seem to be period, rather rough cut. The paint(?) on the entire front of the dial is soft gold in color.

Attached Files:

34. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like a repainted original dial. Something like the dial in Steven's avatar photo would be more appropriate.

35. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have to agree with Jeremy. The dial surround looks correct; so the dial itself seems to be a repaint. I have never seen the Roman numeral "IV" on an Ingraham before. All in all, however, the clock is quite nice.

36. ClocksCollector

Aug 14, 2005
    Thanks for your opinions men!!

37. clockhoarder

May 14, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Can anyone tell me is the finial on this correct? It looks to be a banjo clock eagle

Attached Files:

38. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I would say the eagle is not correct and would belong on a small banjo. The top finial might be more like one that is on these clocks. Do you have a name for your clock. I didn't find an exact match in Tran, though the Cute is tolerably like it.

39. clockhoarder

May 14, 2009
    Country Flag:
    LOL The "Cute"? WOW.....No there was no evidence of a tag on the back or bottom, but then it looks to have been re-painted many years ago. To me it looks like a wooden version of an Ansonia cast iron clock. I will have to keep an eye out for a suitable finial....Thanks much!!!!!!

40. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Couldn't resist getting into the act.

The Grecians are wonderful clocks. They were made with different veneers and veneer combinations. In my experience, dials are either paint on or paper applied to a metal pan.

I have attached (hopefully) pictures of a couple from my collection, including a Welch version. Welch called it a "Roman", but they were also called "Grecian", too. I've included a picture of a miniature Ingraham Grecian. Note it's proportions in relation to the standard sized ones. Also, rosettes have fewer turnings, wider bevelled area at top of base.
    RM

Attached Files:

41. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Now that's impressive, RM. I'm happy with my one, but I could be a lot happier with your lot. Very nice. I admire the mini and the Welch Roman. I've heard tell of the Welch version but never seen one in the wild. This makes me want to find another!:Party::clap::thumb:

42. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comments!

RM

43. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #43 Steven Thornberry, Nov 27, 2009
    I'll add a couple additional Dorics that I have acquired, as well as some that are derivations of the Doric or Octagon Doric: the Crystal (30 hour); the Pony Extra (30 hour); and the Fawn (8-day).
    Doric Boys.jpg Doric Shepherd.jpg Crystal Pony Extra.jpg Fawn.JPG

44. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #44 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Thanks for sharing pictures of your wonderful clocks. I especially like the little guys!!

In that regard, only have one to share. It's a miniature Venetian (the 13 inch variety) I guess called the Small Venetian in the original catalogs. There is even one smaller!

The other Ingraham of which a picture is attached I would suppose could be described as a Venetian #2 or the "3/4" size as per Grimshaw at 18 inches tall. Of note about this particular clock is that the highest part of the curved contour of the door moulding is on the outside edge. This is the first version of the patent door. On later versions, the highest part of the curved contour of the door moulding is on the inside edge. Also, clock bears the label of "Elias Ingraham & Co". This company was formed in 1857 and dissolved in late 1859. They did not make their own movements, instead casing those by Pomeroy (this clock has an unmarked 8 day, 24 hour count wheel Pomeroy) and Waterbury. By early 1860, he and his son Edward formed E. Ingraham & Co. For more info, see Tran's Ingraham book, pages 79-83 and Joyce Wahler's article in the Bulletin, # 378, 2/09, pages 4-11.

RM

Attached Files:

45. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Just to clarify, the Crystal and Pony extra are not as small as they appear. They are as tall as the Dorics, but the angle of the photo makes them appear smaller.

46. Anteater

Anteater New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Frankfort, IL USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Attached is a pic of my Ionic proudly hanging on the wall and running beautifully! Somewhere along the way it appears to have lost its 'Grecian' scrolls however. I guess I should get round to trying to find someone who can make me a pair to replace them.....

Cheers, Ant.

Attached Files:

47. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #47 Steven Thornberry, Apr 9, 2010
    Richard T would insist that it is the Ingraham King, and it does have the case of the Ansonia KIng, but the movement is an Ingraham and original to the case. We have seen this one a time or two (e.g., here), but I found this one a few days back and cleaned up the case. The movement needs work but it runs well, nonetheless. I've seen a few of these on the Internet, but I think this one is the only one with a partial label, which shows an "M" as the first letter of the model name. I could not get enough light for a good picture of the label. This is most likely a special make by Ingraham.
    Mascot 1.JPG Mascot Label.JPG Mascot Movement 1.JPG Mascot Pendulum.JPG

48. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,
    Would someone be kind enough to post some pics of the grecian movements? i won the two junker cases on ebay recently, but then realized I didn't know if they took a special movement or not.
    Thanks!
    ~Fumey

49. ticktock19852004

ticktock19852004 Registered User

Apr 5, 2007
    Hello!

Here is a pic of my Ingraham "black" mantel clock. I'm currently overhauling the movement.

Thanks!

Neal

Attached Files:

50. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    This is a copy of a post I made a while back to a Noah Pomeroy thread. I am assuming this to be an Ingraham case. Is is one of the 13" tall Venetians that a couple of previous posts refer to. Given the clear marking of Noah Pomeroy's name on the front plate, the Union sentiment expressed on the lower tablet, and the fact that Ingraham started making their own movements in about 1865, I am arbitrariliy assigning a date of 1864-5 to this clock. It may be earlier, but I would rather err on the conservative side, for later generations.
    Here is a Noah Pomeroy 30 hour movement and a Venetian of unknown vintage and make. It was all packed in a box with a note in my great grandfather's handwriting, that says my grandfather used the back board in 1908 to make a radio. The movement needs a couple of teeth, and one of these days, I intend to get around to making them. I made a backbaord and a new upper mounting block a year or so ago, just to get the thing back in the case, so It would not get further dismantled and parts lost. I have the posts tied together temporarily with a piece of brass wire - the missing pins will have to be replaced when I get around to doing the movement work.
    I just looked a the closeups of the movement, and I think when I get around to working on it, I will have to flip the time side mainwheel over, to use the good sides of the teeth. So I expect that will mean making a new click spring, too. - Like Topsey, it just keeps growing. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg