Ingraham Chime Problem: It's 13 o'clock somewhere

scc76

Mar 25, 2021
Friendswood, TX
Country
Region
My c. 1870's Ingraham Venetian (I think that's the model) hourly strike clock runs like a champ after some TLC with one little problem. At 12:00, it jumps right to the 1:00 slot on the count wheel after it runs through the proper 12:00 slots. The chimes are then an hour off until, again at the next 12:00, it gives 13 chimes. I always appreciate something that wants to give that little extra, but obviously not what I'm looking for in a chiming clock. Every other hour works perfectly fine...warning clicks at 5 minutes till and it strikes right on the hour. Any thoughts?

Picture of the movement (pre-cleaning) is attached for reference. Thanks all!
1623347831071.png

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
scc,

Well, a couple of likely suspects are: the count finger is tipping the side of the last slot on the 12 count. This can be caused indirectly by a worn bushing at the front of the third wheel's arbor/pivot.

BTW, not a "chimer", it's a striker. :)

Willie X

Reactions: Kevin W.

scc76

Mar 25, 2021
Friendswood, TX
Country
Region
scc,

Well, a couple of likely suspects are: the count finger is tipping the side of the last slot on the 12 count. This can be caused indirectly by a worn bushing at the front of the third wheel's arbor/pivot.

BTW, not a "chimer", it's a striker. :)

Willie X
Ahh thanks Willie! I'm relatively new to all this (as you can tell from my terminology misuse) so I appreciate it. Have not done any bushing yet because I've been too nervous though I know it's something I've got to get comfortable with or I'll never be able to properly repair everything. Will take it back out and watch that pivot. Maybe this will be my first :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
One way or another that pivot is responsible for moving/placing the count wheel before each dip of the count finger. So, if that bushing is worn the count wheel will be displaced a bit. The quick fix it to bend the count finger but the worn pivot hole is often the real problem and should be addressed. Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There's some tiny difference in that notch, could be any notch. Willie C

scc76

Mar 25, 2021
Friendswood, TX
Country
Region
Are those notches double-width to allow the half-hour gong?
There's no half hour on this clock...just strikes on the hour.

Upon further inspection, Willie is right in that the hole is worn and the wheel wobbles a bit because of it so will need to be re-bushed. But, the immediate culprit and reason for 13 o'clock is that the tooth (sorry Willie, probably the wrong term...maybe that's the count finger you're talking about?) was bent, which made the lever skip right over the end notch for 12 and go to 1.

scc76

Mar 25, 2021
Friendswood, TX
Country
Region
What does the notch look like between 12 and 1?
Here's a look at the notch as the lever is working its way toward the end of the 12:00 strike (after I adjusted it). Sorry it's a bit blurry as it's an image from a phone video I took to watch the wheel go in slow motion.
1623418704697.png

disciple_dan

Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
So, was it the tooth on the count wheel that was bent or the count lever? Glad you figured it out. Or Willie did.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The count wheel tooth I think, Dan ;)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I don't think it's 'figured out' quite yet. :)

That single skinny tooth is your problem. It needs to be bent a tiny amount to the left. The count finger was probably tipping the right side of the skinny tooth all along.

Adjusting the count finger solved the problem but the tiny flaw that caused the original problem is still there.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nito.55
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-