Ingraham Calendar ID

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, May 6, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Ingraham calendar.jpg Hi,I just purchased this clock and I was wondering if anyone with an Ingraham book could identify this model.I dont have the clock yet but it is a T&S simple calendar,short drop case.The dial looks a little different as to the lettering by the manufacturer.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bruce

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It's the Lyric, shown in Tran from the 1907 catalogue. It came as time only, time and strike, and with or without a calendar option. Tran also shows it from the 1911 catalogue without the calendar. I can't see the dial clearly enough to comment on the lettering, but perhaps it is someone's later addition, or the whole dial paper is a replacement.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    ing cal 2.jpg ing cal.jpg Here are two better shots and thanks Steven..................seems like this was a cut above the usual "school kouse" calendar with the beading and tablet
    Bruce

4. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Bruce. Could be original now that I see it, though it is pretty clean for its age. Still, you sometimes see them like that. In any event, it is a nice looking clock. Enjoy it.

5. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    BTW, Bruce, as I'm sure you know, if you want to find the appx. date of your clock, check the movement. In 1897, Ingraham began dating their movements. Unless I miss my guess, yours should have the date markings.

6. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    #6 Bruce Barnes, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    I'll enjoy it until Christmas then off it goes to my neice as a Christmas gift........
    Bruce

I will check when it arrives.......

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Just a quick update,the clock arrived from Tom Harris and was very well packed a few xtra $ but well worth it.
    I pulled the dial and the movement is Oct 1878,the gong base is marked Ingraham but..........................the label is Waterbury,very old label and the backboard is original,curious to say the least.
    Bruce

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Well, that's an oops! If the backboard is original to the rest of the case, then we have a Waterbury case with an Ingraham movement. In which case, check for additional holes in the backboard and possibly in the dial surround (though the dial pan may be original, but the dial paper a later replacement). That to confirm the marriage. And, if a Waterbury, it is possibly the Arion, ca. 1910-1915. It came with a 10-inch and a 12-inch dial and was offered with and without calendar.

As I double check my ID as Ingraham Lyric, I fear I may have been a trifle hasty. That's what comes of using catalogue pictures against sellers pictures. Too much room for error.

9. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Steven,under a piece of paper high on the backboard is the label 12" ARION..............a marriage however a nice one. There are no extra holes in the backboard,the movement sits square and no new holes. The gong base sits on and in original holes and the dial pan position only hase one extra hole in the case.the gong has a great sound and the movement is relatively clean.
    It is a Christmas gift and chances are they wont discover the marriage.
    I am sure there are many reasons for a marriage but this is one where the original works may have been T or T/O only and they wanted a calendar or the original works were shot.
    Oh well for $120.00 i feel comfortable.
    Bruce

10. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Steven, et al, were case designs eve,r for lack of a better term, "patented"? I know there was an ongoing movement of parts etc. between makers but at sometime as they grew large enough one would think they would encompass manufacturing of most major parts especially the case.
    I looked at a Gilbert Admiral on Ebay and it is a cookie cutter copy of my Waterbury Arion except for size.
    By 1900 Waterbury and Gilbert were fairly large concerns that had good manufacturing capacity,or did they continue to trade or "pirate" design..............just curious.
    Bruce