Ingraham Banjo

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by wbranko, Mar 20, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

Enclosed are some pictures of an Ingraham banjo clock I purchased today. It is a large banjo...6 1/2 inches across the time track and 8 inches across the bezel...34 inches in height. The movement is marked for August 1911. I can not find any reference to it in Tran's book. Can anyone help with a model identification?

By the way, as you can see, there is a considerable amount of restoration to do...but I think it will be well worth the work. 87447.jpg 87448.jpg

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice looking Banjo clock.Should look great when you are finished with it.:):)

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Overall, I would say that this is no model put together by Ingraham. At the very best, judging from the date of the movement, the basic structure (throat/bottom box) might be an early Nyanza, but I am really unsure. The height is not correct for that. The shelf, side arms, and, I think, the head, seem not to be by Ingraham. Honestly, anything is possible, but I don't think Ingraham would lay claim to this. Possibly an Ingraham movement and possibly dial put onto a "homemade" case.

4. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Steve,

Anything is possible...but everything on the case is original. No extra holes for another movement. No screws out of place on the backboard. Basically an untouched original clock. If it is a homemade job, it must have been homemade in 1911. Also, the paper dial has Ingraham on the bottom. So all components, minus the case, would then be Ingraham. I guess I'll have to do some research at the NAWCC library!

Thanks for your input!

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Let us know if you find anything. Take away the side rails and the shelf, and you might have the "skeleton" of an Ingraham banjo.

6. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Branko, very unusual banjo. Is that a prompt lying beside it in the first photo? Is it for sale?

7. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

The item lying beside the Ingraham banjo is an Ansonia Bagdad. Both need some work before I put them up. I do this for a hobby...no intention to sell them...sorry!!!

I will make any research work I do known...but it may be some time before I can get to NAWCC...I have some work to do in my shop first! If anyone else can help, please feel free to chime in!