• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Ingraham Banjo

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
Have a 26 inch E. Ingraham time only Banjo that is missing a part to move the hands from the back. The hands are friction fit to the minute arbor and the cannon pinion. Protruding from the back plate is a stub of the minute arbor. It is .095 dia. x .061 high and available thru a 1/2" hole in the back of the case. Can someone describe the missing part? I would have to assume it is a press-fit arrangement to the minute arbor.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm mostly guessing here, Bob .... but could it be a kind of key that's missing?
Is the 'stub' square like a winding square, or threaded? Does it look broken?

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
The stub is round and slightly champhered on the edge. So we may be looking at a pressed fit with maybe a slot for a US quarter or a screwdriver. It can not be longer than the thickness of the backboard (.40").

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
It sounds like you mean a time-set knob of some kind. I've owned several time-only balance-movement Ingraham banjos as shown in Tran's book (e.g., the Nordic, Norway, Neptune, etc.), and none has ever had such a knob. There is a dime/nickel-sized hole on the back of the case, and you can see stub you mention, but, as said, I have never had one with any sort of knob. The bezel opens at the front and the time is set by moving the minute hand. Is this the type of clock you mean? I know of no other Ingraham banjos that might fit the description you give.

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
Bob
This is the back of a Ingraham banjo "Neptune". I think it is what Steven is talking about.

Attachments

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
Yes, my label is even in the same condition. The reason for suggesting a 'knob' on the back is due to the flimsyness of the hands and the strong resistence to the 'clutch' on the minute arbor which allows the minute arbor to be turned. I've put a pin vice and oil on the minute arbor to try to free up the resistance. There is a pressure washer between the minute arbor lantern pinion and the compression collet on the minute arbor. I can tell that the minute hand itself has been straightened and hammered several times because of using the hand itself to adjust time setting.

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
I would bet that most labels are in the same condition--because of the problem you stated! :)

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
OK, guys & gals-but it was a good idea to have a setting knob from the back. The stub is really too short to retain a press-fit extension. Ingraham sure took the cheap way out in making this particuliar movement.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You could probably thread it (left handed threads) and make a knob work, but it would probably be easier to free up the tension that's making it difficult to turn from the front. It would also keep it more 'original'.