Information Sources for European PW's (Books/Online)?

btmsum

Feb 14, 2011
I am trying to build up a good collection of information on pocket watches of both American and European build. Unfortunately European pocket watches in particular seem to be much less popular and hence have less information available. Currently my book collection includes The Complete Price Guide to Watches (the 2011 edition), as well as all the books from Ehrhardt that were available through Bill Selover. I also have Pendant and Pocket Watches 1500-1950 from Jeanenne Bell and I am most likely going to pick up a copy of Loomes' Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World: 21st Century Edition.

However, most of these books have little or no information on European pocket watches. I would most preferably like something along the lines of the Complete Price Guide but with a focus on European designs. Any information though would be great. Does anyone have recommendations, either books or online, as to where I might find either general/identification/pricing information for European pocket watches or is that information only available in languages other than english? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
It depends on the era. For a wide range there are three I suggest

1) Watches by Clutton and Daniels. The third edition is the best

2) The Gerd Ahrens Collection of Pocket Watches

“Die Taschenuhrensammlung von Gerd Ahrens”, published [in German] by Christian Pfeiffer-Belli, with contributions of Wolf Brueggemann, Norbert Enders, Peter Friess, Martin Otzenberger, Joseph M. Stadl, and Susanne Stadl. ISBN 3-7667 1668 3, 2006 Callwey Verlag." Which I lifted from

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=12787 Fortunat's review.

3)Collector's Encyclopedia of Pendant and Pocket Watches 1500-1950
C Jeanenne Bell
Publisher: Collector Books This does have pricing information based on auction sales.

I own these and think highly of them. The first two do not give prices but shortly after the Ahren's book was published, most the collection went on the auction block so it should be possible to get values.

DaveyG

Mar 21, 2005
North Wales, UK
Country
Hi btmsum and good to see you on the forum.

You could try looking here:

http://www.shentonbooks.com/

As far as I know there is no 'Complete Price Guide' equivalent for european watches. Books that I find useful and interesting are;

'Antique Watches' by T P Camerer Cuss
'Pocket Watches of the 19th & 20th Century' by Alan Shenton

and a copy of Britten's 'Old Colcks & Watches & Their Makers' (out of print but 2nd hand copies are always available) is always useful to have.

I have to say that I don't find Brian Loomes' books of much use; they seem to be just lists of names that he has seen and dates attributable to those particular pieces. It seems to me that any researched data has been brought forward from either Britten's or Baillie's which, whilst they don't have so many names do have much more information in them about the makers listed. I could well be wrong but I certainly don't rely upon Loomes as a valuable source.

Dexx

Mar 10, 2009
Country
Region
"The History of Watches" is a well-illustrated book (175 pages) by David Thompson, published by Abbeville Press in 2008. ISBN: 13:978-0-7892-0918-4

I'd also suggest an auction catalogue "The Sandberg Watch Collection" published by Antiquorum in 2001, if you can find it. There's a basic version for under $100 and an enhanced version with accompanying commentary to the watches by Camerer Cuss. But this version is several hundred dollars.

Davey suggested looking at the Shenton Books catalogue. Here's a link specifically for publications on pocket watches:

http://www.shentonbooks.com/acatalog/Pocket_Watches.html

jfl

NAWCC Member
May 1, 2006
Pritchard's two volume set is for me invaluable. JFL

Nachtmotte

Nov 21, 2005
Greece
www.faszination-uhrwerk.de
Country
Region
Why don´t you ask Mr.Antoine Simonin from Neuchâtel (Switzerland) ?
He owns the biggest and well sorted collection of nearly every watch book you may ever imagine. A room full of books, plenty of sources (over 2.500 different titles) of any decade (the NAWCC member Mr.Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, Member Library & Museum Coll.Com. / VP, USA Sect. Antiquar.Horolog.Soc., knows him as well).

You may get into contact with Mrs.Renaud, Mr.Simonin´s secretary!

Here´s the link to his web site: http://www.booksimonin.ch/accueil.asp

In hoping it may help you for any further coming question about european watches.
My best regards
Tony

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5