Information - Schmidt Schlenker Clock

Bill V

Jun 18, 2006
Orange, MA, U.S.A.
Country
Region
I posted some pictures of this clock in the clock repair section hoping to find an replacement part, and there were no responses. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help out with some information about it's origin and age. It is marked Schmidt - Schlenker Jr., and it stands about 12" tall. I understand that a Johannes Schlenker was involved with Kienzle clocks, and I was wondering if this clock is related, or possibly actually a Kienzle clock.

Thanks in advance for any information you might have pertaining to this clock.

Bill

Attachments

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Greetings Bill --

There have been so many Schlenker's in the Schwenningen area involved in clockmaking over the years that Hans-Heinrich Schmid in his standard work, Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenindustrie 1850-1980 made a special note of it. And relatedly, that it was therefore not possible to establish the interrelationships among all.

He lists 16 firms (not just clockmakers) which had names beginning with "Schlenker." And W. & A. Schmidt-Schlenker with that hyphenated name is among the "others."

The entry for Schmid-Schlenker fills what would be a full, small-print page. The basics are that the firm was established in 1935 in Schwennnigen, moved to Bad Dürrheim in 1952, went out of business in 1987, and was gone by 1990. Clocks in previous "styles" were evidently made after the mid-50s.

Regards,
Zep

Bill V

Jun 18, 2006
Orange, MA, U.S.A.
Country
Region
Thanks Zep

The clock didn't appear to be very old, but it is an interesting one, and to me it's worth the time to get it back into good working condition.

I see that the NAWCC library has this reference. Looking at the title, I would guess that it is written in German. Is there an English translation available ??

Bill

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Greets again Bill --

There's not an English translation of the Lexikon, alas. But it is the standard reference to the German clockmaking industry so it's well-worth having. There's a review of it BTW here:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=45144&highlight=Lexikon

Then too, with a little effort, the first part of the volume with it's "shorter" listings of over 2,170 German firms (over some 350 pages) is mostly understable for those who don't read German. The format is soon familiar and many of the same terms come up again and again.

I'll attach below (with permission) a snip of this "shorter" entry for Schmidt-Schlenker. The last line, Siehe Beschreibung, indicates that the firm is among the 300 or so also given a fuller treatment in a second section (which covers an additional 250 or so pages). I've not included the fuller entry.

Best regards
Zep

Attachments

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnosis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool