Information on John Key -Dumbarton LC's clock

Bake

Apr 24, 2015
Country
My first post and not familiar all the features offered and a very novice clock owner. I have a tall John Key clock that has been past along in the family over 100 years. The area we live in Vermont was settled by the "Scottish Farmer of America" and they came here in 1832, about half of the older settlers were born in Scotland and half in the USA, therefore we believe that the clock came from Scotland ? In reading a few post submitted in 2008 by (oldcat61 & Uhralt)) - about clock makers from Scotland, and the pictures viewed were very close to the clock we have. The pictures of the clock works and brass face, I would say were the same other than the name on the face of the clock, the dial with two number sets roman & regular numbers with hour minute second hand and date that has a round hole showing date number not square hole as shown in other pictures. Our clock in 85" tall no finial and top case is 19" wide,
DSCN1083.jpg DSCN0950.jpg DSCN0951.jpg DSCN1081.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board!

I have only got a very small amount of information about John Key. He was working as a clockmaker in Dumbarton from 1770-1795 and was married. I don't know anything else, and I only know this because of a genealogical research I did about someone else and usually keep anything I find related to clocks.

There are several book son Scottish clockmakers which might have more detail, but unfortunately I have not got any of them. You could try the NAWCC library, they are very helpful.

This isn't much but I hope it will be of some interest.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
A friend of mine has a book 'Old Scottish Clockmakers 1453-1850' (by John Smith) and unfortunately your John Key is not listed in it.

I thought I would just let you know as this is one of the best lists of Scottish clockmakers and it will save you time looking.

JTD

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
My first post and not familiar all the features offered and a very novice clock owner. I have a tall John Key clock that has been past along in the family over 100 years. The area we live in Vermont was settled by the "Scottish Farmer of America" and they came here in 1832, about half of the older settlers were born in Scotland and half in the USA, therefore we believe that the clock came from Scotland ? In reading a few post submitted in 2008 by (oldcat61 & Uhralt)) - about clock makers from Scotland, and the pictures viewed were very close to the clock we have. The pictures of the clock works and brass face, I would say were the same other than the name on the face of the clock, the dial with two number sets roman & regular numbers with hour minute second hand and date that has a round hole showing date number not square hole as shown in other pictures. Our clock in 85" tall no finial and top case is 19" wide,
View attachment 259940 View attachment 259941 View attachment 259942 View attachment 259939
Somehow I missed your post! Do you still have it? I have more info on John Key if it would help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moneyrama
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff