Information on Howard Pocket Watch

mikegoldnj

Apr 19, 2021
Country
I have my grandfather's old pocket watch, which was given to him by my grandmother as a wedding present, about 1929. I had it serviced about two years ago by a jeweler in NYC and it was running for a bit but then stopped soon after getting it back. Took it back in and was told I probably didn't fully wind it. Wound it and again it ran for a while but now is not running and cannot be wound as the crown will not turn forward and I can feel some tension if I try. Possible it was overwound or some other issue with main spring?

IMG_2329.jpeg IMG_2332.jpeg IMG_2334.jpeg

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
There are some really good watch mechanics on this forum that I am sure can get your watch back in shape.

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
The people who "fixed" your watch obviously did not really fix it. You can't really over wind this watch. There is something else going on. What is wrong could be a number of things or a combination of things, such as a broken or bent pivot on the balance staff to some reason why power from the mainspring is not getting transfered to the escapement to a magnetized or bent hairspring. This is a nice little watch and worth fixing. I am sure someone here will recommend a better watchmaker.

mikegoldnj

Apr 19, 2021
Country
The people who "fixed" your watch obviously did not really fix it. You can't really over wind this watch. There is something else going on. What is wrong could be a number of things or a combination of things, such as a broken or bent pivot on the balance staff to some reason why power from the mainspring is not getting transfered to the escapement to a magnetized or bent hairspring. This is a nice little watch and worth fixing. I am sure someone here will recommend a better watchmaker.
Agreed that it was not properly fixed. I've received a couple of recommendations so far.

Thanks

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
Mike,
You might PM musicguy for some referrals. I can suggest Dewey Clark at Historictimekeepers.com, Eric Unselt at Americantimekeepers.com and Jim Haney at pocwatjim@aol.com for starters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S. Attar
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller