information on french maker victor athanase pierret

waynet7

May 29, 2007
Eureka Illinois
Country
Region
I just acquired a marine clock which I believe was made by this maker. It bears an oval stamp on the rear plate with the initials V.A.P Brevette D.G.S.G. I have been able to figure out that this maker lived from 1806 - 1893. Can anyone else supply further information?

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Wayne,
Pierret was based in Paris and manufactured clocks of his own design, he was an important maker of alarms and exhibited at the Great Exhibition in 1851 where it is claimed he sold 10,000 miniature skeleton alarm clocks! He retired in 1865. The stamp is I believe SGDG.

I have seen drumhead cased clocks with white card dials by him come up now and again on eBay, they are interesting in that some have a deadbeat escapement with a spherical bob that screws on to the pendulum rod which is in turn attached directly to the pallet arbor. Lever versions have the escape wheel and lever bewteen the plates with the balance on a small separate platform on the back plate.

VAP has also been attributed to Valonge a Paris by some writers, a maker working there from the mid-1800s, but according to Tardy it is Pierret. HTH.

Tom Wotruba

NAWCC Member
Nov 16, 2005
California
Country
Region
Wayne:

According to Loomes in Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World, 21st Century edition, Victor Athanase Pierret was born in 1806 and died in 1893. He worked in Paris and invented lamp clocks with turning globes marked with hour figures in 1863. There is more on him in Tardy, Dictionnaire des Horlogers Francais but it is in French. My amateur translation indicates that he was born in Bucy-les-Pierrepont and apprenticed at age 13 to a maker named Rolin, stayed there 5 years, then moved to Paris. He exhibited at the London Exposition in 1851 where he presented "une pendule planetaire" (an orrery?). Tardy has much more to say, including the fact that Pierret wrote a book in 1885 titled "Horlogerie, outillage et mecanique". (roughly translated: clockmaking tools and machines).

Tom Wotruba

waynet7

May 29, 2007
Eureka Illinois
Country
Region
Thank you for the information! This clock is of the lever type as Jonathan has described. There is a web site somewhere that has a picture of a movement with this style escapement in which the balance wheel is on a separate platform on the rear plate. If anyone is curious the ebay pictures are still up. look up item #110128702206. Great shape, but minus the hairspring.

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Wayne, here are some close-ups of a complete specimen. Maybe these photos will help you identify the correct size of hairspring. This one has about 7 or 8 (...or 9) coils and runs well.

Michael

Attachments

DHoltby

Jun 30, 2012
Hampshire, England. U.K.
Country
just been researching myself:- this is what I've written to a customer regarding their VAP clock who's clock is circa 1895 - 1900:- " Marked ‘ VAP BREVETE S.G.D.G.’ in an oval - This stamp is associated with the maker Victor-Athanase Pierret (1806-93) who retired in 1865, selling half his shares to Borel . The mark VAP IS attributed by Tardy in ‘Dictionnaire des Horologers Francais’ to Maison Pierret-Borel et Blin of Paris circa 1900. ( Translates as :- House Pierret-Borel and Blin of Paris). The remainder of the logo is simply the Patent mark:- (Breveté - means Patent ) Brevete S.G.D.G. = Patented, without government guarantee of quality)."

Last edited:

RossE

Apr 16, 2021
Country
Hi I just wanted to record this useful piece of dating advice for posterity for the attached type of tic tak VAP clock. You see them in wood and alabaster but always in this shape. On different forums I have seen them dated anywhere from 1860s to 1920. I found this listing on ebay that has a period silver plaque attached which dates this example to 1863. In my opinion this confirms that they were being produced earlier than most people think. I have seen several posts suggesting they continued making them after he retired which may well be true.

vap1863.jpg

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
SGDG : this mention was established by the law of July 5, 1844, Art. 33, which states that patents are issued "without prior examination, at the risk of the applicants, and without guaranteeing either the reality, the novelty or the merit of the invention, or the fidelity or the accuracy of the description".
This mention disappeared in 1968.

Some patents registered by Pierret in 1853- 1855-1868 :

Pierret 1853.jpeg Pierret 1855.jpeg Pierret 1868.jpeg

Amicalement GG

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Hi I just wanted to record this useful piece of dating advice for posterity for the attached type of tic tak VAP clock.
Are you sure that is a tic-tac escapement? They only span 2 teeth on the escape wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre