Information on English verge fusee

DrCar

Dec 12, 2009
I need some help identifying my fusee pocket watch. It is stamped "London" and "118". I cannot make out the watchmaker/company name. I believe it is from the early 1700's.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

John Pavlik

NAWCC Member
Dec 30, 2001
Green Bay, Wi
Country
Region
I see the last name Canche,can not make out the first name..There is a James Canche listed in London.. I would assume a releative..James is listed 1692 - 1701.. The movement balance cock and regulation appears to contenetial, but the between plates appears English.. I would say in any event it is later, say 1760 - 1800.. The mainspring setup, under the mainspring barrel was gone for the most part by 1800..

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi DrCar,and Wellcome to the message board!IMHO the name reads "Tebeblanche",but I´ve never heard of him.Perhaps some of our friends around here with the big books have any info?The balance bridge and the inscription on the regulator disc point to a continental-maybe french-origin of the maker.They often kept elements of their national style when they emigrated to Britain,mostly because of religious reasons.The rest looks english indeed.I´d agree with the age second half of the 18th cent.HTH
Burkhard

DrCar

Dec 12, 2009
Thank you very much for the help!

I am new to watch collecting, but Tebe or Tefeblanche was my first guess as well. Can anyone tell me more about these books with watchmaker's names?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmelfelt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff