American Information on Colonial

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Maytime, Dec 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Maytime

Maytime New Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Country Flag:
    We've had in the family for all my life (71 years) a Colonial grandfather clock, and no one knows anything much about it except that it was (seriously) grandfather's. Its chimes have accompanied my life.

"1379" is stenciled on the back; I take that to be the model number.
    The works inside is Winterhalder, movement 8062.

I'm interested in finding out what I can about this very nice clock.

Thanks!

GFClock 010.jpg GFClock 016.jpg GFClockHome 006.jpg GFClockHome008.jpg IMG_20191203_102539.jpg IMG_20191203_102753.jpg IMG_20191203_133707.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i have a very similar colonial/winterhalder: winterhalder 3-train 5-tube grandfather clock

the movements are very high quality... and yours looks like someone did an excellent job of cleaning/servicing it along the way. that said, if you don't know when it was last serviced it probably needs it... and is worth servicing.

when i serviced mine i found very few mechanical issues because of how well-built the movement is... mostly just needed cleaning and oiling. it's pretty darn accurate... within a few seconds every week.

lastly, i would guesstimate late 1920s... although there are some here who have the actual catalogs and no doubt offer a more definitive answer.

3. Maytime

Maytime New Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Your clock's interesting, as is the reply threads chain in your posting. Where do folks get those catalog photos?
    We do indeed get routine cleaning and oiling; that is due now - which got me thinking about it and prompted my inquiry. Overhauled 2006.

4. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1920's is a good estimate as it was not in 1919/1920 catalog and my 1927 catalog only listed a few models.

Winterhalder is name for a conglomerate of family members who had different shops making clock movements and marketed them together.

Download my January 2014 Watch and Clock Bulletin article on Colonial Mfg. Co.

Andy Dervan