Information on Bingham from Troy NY?

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
Hi, I have a very special wooden works clock. I can't read the first initials, maybe ?DP?, but the name appears to be Bingham, Troy New York 1831. This clock has an embedded print along with a signed poem attached on the inside, and I'm trying to find out if there is a connection to Bingham. Also, I don't know if Bingham built the clock or cabinet, what is the word in pencil after clock? fin...something? The poem is Home Sweet Home by John Howard Payne, the print is by Percy Moran. Also, the print(picture on front) is embedded with some type of fabric and painted with gold and black, I wonder why this was done like this, and what year(s) was this practice typical(this would help me determine if this was done at a later time, if a collector put all this together, or if the clock was built with this print embedded in the front glass.) thanks for any help
20211120_120140 (1).jpg 20220131_100019.jpg 20220131_100034.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Hi, I have a very special wooden works clock. I can't read the first initials, maybe ?DP?, but the name appears to be Bingham, Troy New York 1831. This clock has an embedded print along with a signed poem attached on the inside, and I'm trying to find out if there is a connection to Bingham. Also, I don't know if Bingham built the clock or cabinet, what is the word in pencil after clock? fin...something? The poem is Home Sweet Home by John Howard Payne, the print is by Percy Moran. Also, the print(picture on front) is embedded with some type of fabric and painted with gold and black, I wonder why this was done like this, and what year(s) was this practice typical(this would help me determine if this was done at a later time, if a collector put all this together, or if the clock was built with this print embedded in the front glass.) thanks for any help
View attachment 693697 View attachment 693698 View attachment 693699
There should be a printed label on the inner backboard identifying the maker, sometimes the retailer or person who cased the movement. They sometimes go missing.

I suspect the name written on the back of the dial was that of someone who serviced the clock @some time in its history, not the maker.

The tablet decoration is not original nor typical of any period. Relatively modern.

The stenciling on the splat & 1/2 columns is missing.

Pictures of the inside of the case & the movement would help as movement features may lead to the ID of the maker.

RM

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakes
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit