Country
Hi All,
New guy here just getting into clocks.
Need infomation on a Ridgeway Tempus Fugit Grandfather Clock
Model Number 336
Movement E
Finish Tudor Oak
Serial Number 11161
Tempus Fugit on the front top (no moon dail)
Ridgeway on the face
Western Germany on the lower face
in the Cabit it has J-74P-336
Has chains
I think it is form the mid-60's
Any and All information will be helpfull

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Mid '60's is about right. The "Tempus Fugit" means "Time Flies". You'll find it on many clocks of the period.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Tempus Fugit caught on after the 1950's, although some other clocks carried it well before this time.

Your clock probably uses a Urgos movement, but we would have to see photos of your clock to confirm that.

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Welcome to the message board, Clock Hound!!

Shutterbug is correct. Tempus fugit is Latin for "Time flies" and has nothing to do with the brand or model of clock. It can be found on many different types of clocks.

I have a Ridgeway catalog from 1977 and model #336 is shown in it. It was known as the "Monterey." I would include a scan of the catalog page, but I am currently in Maine for the summer (I otherwise live in Florida) and won't have access to a scanner until I return home in late October.

Hope this helps!
:)

Clock Hound

Aug 26, 2011
Arizona
www.mikasateamsports.com
Country
Here are the Pictures of my Ridgeway (need info)

Hi All,
New guy here just getting into clocks.
Need infomation on a Ridgeway Grandfather Clock
Model Number 336
Movement E
Finish Tudor Oak
Serial Number 11161
Tempus Fugit (Time Flys) on the front top (no moon dail)
Ridgeway on the face
Western Germany on the lower face
in the Cabit it has J-74P-336
Has chains
I think it is form the mid-60's
Any and All information will be helpfull

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
But Steven, nobody will get to see the pictures now.
No more replys after you put them together:confused:
Combining the threads does not affect who will see the pictures. The lack of replies may simply mean that no one has, at this time, anything to add beyond what you and Spaceman Spiff have already stated.

I note you have not included a picture of the movement, which might elicit more comments.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
If I had to guess, I would think it uses a Urgos movement. But let's see some photos of the movement, please.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
It looks like a Urgos. Be careful with it, this wasn't their highest quality movement, but should run if cared for.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
They are there, and it is still a Urgos.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
U R G O S (Urgos)

Uhren and Gongfabrik Schwenningen

Haller, Jauch & Papst (original name before "Urgos" was registered)

Started around 1920's, bought out by Walter Steinbach and moved to Donaueschingen, Germany in 1990, finally bought by Hermle (another clock maker) in 1999.

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Hi, Clock Hound.

As I mentioned back in message #4 of this thread, I have returned to FL and have scanned the catalog page for your clock, Ridgeway model #336, the Monterey.

Attached are the front and back sides of the page.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,

Attachments

michaelpence

May 6, 2012
Re: Here are the Pictures of my Ridgeway (need info)

i have an Identical clock face, marked made in Germany.
It was imported from Denmark by the Scan Clock Export Limited.
60's

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
Hi, Bill.

Congrats on your new "guinea pig."

FYI, your clock is Ridgeway model 121, known as "The Lady Hale." It can be found in both the 1967 catalog as well as the 1977 catalog, so it was produced for a number of years. Attached below are scans. The first image is from the 1967 catalog and the other two pages are from 1977.

In the 1977 catalog, the clock had a suggested retail price of $569 or $639, depending on movement. (Keep in mind that this was only the price when new. As one of our senior forum members has said: much like a new car, grandfather/grandmother clocks typically lose much of their value as soon as they leave the showroom floor, and only gain value again after many years).

Hope this helps!
Sincerely,

paperclip.png Attached Thumbnails attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg
Hey John, you seem to have these Ridgeways down pat! It looks like the "guts" of that clock are exactly like my grandmother clock - Same "E" movement. Same catalog, too. But I just noticed something: Where are the weights in the 1967 Catalog picture:???:

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Hey John, you seem to have these Ridgeways down pat! It looks like the "guts" of that clock are exactly like my grandmother clock - Same "E" movement. Same catalog, too. But I just noticed something: Where are the weights in the 1967 Catalog picture:???:
I noticed that, too. But I think the clock must have also had an optional spring-driven movement: look at the dial and you will see winding holes. Interesting!

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
The text in the scan says that it was available with C,O,D or E movements. I should have picked up on that, and I didn't notice the winding holes, either. It sure looks EMPTY without the weights! I'd guess that the details of those movements are described elsewhere in the catalog.

My label doesn't say anything about wood, model number, etc. Label.jpg

Attachments

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
The text in the scan says that it was available with C,O,D or E movements. I should have picked up on that, and I didn't notice the winding holes, either. It sure looks EMPTY without the weights! I'd guess that the details of those movements are described elsewhere in the catalog.

My label doesn't say anything about wood, model number, etc.
Hi, Bill.

Here are the descriptions of the movements available for that model:

C: Two weight driven, 3 chime rods, has echo chime on 1/2 and hour only.

O: Spring driven (key wound), 5 chime rods, Westminster chimes, Big Ben hour gong.

D: Spring driven (key wound), 8 chime rods, Westminster chimes, Big Ben hour gong.

E: Three weight driven, 8 chime rods, Westminster chimes, Big Ben hour gong, used only in grandmother clocks.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
John
P.S. Yes, I agree about the emptiness. I have an Ansonia floor clock which is spring driven / key wound, and I've always thought it looked really empty with no weights and just the pendulum showing through the glass door. :)

Last edited:

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
Thanks again, John. As I've said elsewhere, my curiosity is INSATIABLE. Is there a technical difference that differentiates our grandMOTHER clocks from grandFATHER ones? Or is the difference just the BIGNESS of them?

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Thanks again, John. As I've said elsewhere, my curiosity is INSATIABLE. Is there a technical difference that differentiates our grandMOTHER clocks from grandFATHER ones? Or is the difference just the BIGNESS of them?
I'm quite sure there's a definition somewhere, but I don't know the information off-hand. I think there's a specific height at which a clock's designation transitions from grandmother to grandfather, but the term "grandfather clock" is so loosely used as to make adhering to the true technical terms nearly impossible except for purists. And that's just among clock collectors. It gets even worse in the general public; every time I got on Craigslist I see at least one mantel clock or one wall clock referred to as a "grandfather clock." It seems many people think the term refers to ANY clock that's as old as their grandfather (or even new clocks that are of a style from their grandfather's era). LOL.

Andrew Smith63

Oct 5, 2020
Country
Hello, I have just been gifted this exact clock and I wondered if I might ask for advice? The clock appears to only strike one no matter which hour it is, If I pull the lever at the top left of the movement it runs both chimes and a number of strikes (constantly). My 2 questions are:
Any feeling for the reason it only strikes 1?
What is the purpose of the lever at the top left?

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ferguson Clock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre