Information needed on D.R.G.M G Boley Mainspring winder Hour Glass Shape

Box Car Charlie

NAWCC Member
Aug 15, 2022
Space Coast Florida
www.boxcarcharlie.com
Country
Region
Information needed on D.R.G.M G Boley Mainspring winder Hour Glass Shape it is about 3.5 inches high , Can not find in my old books
I was not sure which to post under - just getting back into the hang of this forum - Thank you in advance, I'll try to respond when I can

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

Box Car Charlie

NAWCC Member
Aug 15, 2022
Space Coast Florida
www.boxcarcharlie.com
Country
Region
Thank you, New2Clocks : on the DRGM - Most of my tooling is from Germany - Swiss and so on - I just can not find the mainspring winder in any of my catalogs - This was an odd ball for me - I have other mainspring winders mainly Bergeon That I use in my repair including ones that I have made myself for larger Industrial clocks :) Below is a Trade mark on one of my Rounding Up Units / Topping tool with DRGM , most of my units have that marking , Still looking on that one as well will make post on that soon

IMG_1445.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Thank you, New2Clocks : on the DRGM - Most of my tooling is from Germany - Swiss and so on - I just can not find the mainspring winder in any of my catalogs - This was an odd ball for me - I have other mainspring winders mainly Bergeon That I use in my repair including ones that I have made myself for larger Industrial clocks :) Below is a Trade mark on one of my Rounding Up Units / Topping tool with DRGM , most of my units have that marking , Still looking on that one as well will make post on that soon

View attachment 721963
That is the trademark of Charles Piaget & Cie. of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland (according to mikrolisk).

Regards.

Reactions: Box Car Charlie

Box Car Charlie

NAWCC Member
Aug 15, 2022
Space Coast Florida
www.boxcarcharlie.com
Country
Region
That is the trademark of Charles Piaget & Cie. of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland (according to mikrolisk).
New2Clocks :
I looked in Kochmann' book - very similar - the upper marking between the wings could be a change that was made or left out in stamping the Rounding up machine - I will research this further - Many thanks for help on that trade mark,
Added photo from book
IMG_1497.jpg

Box Car Charlie

NAWCC Member
Aug 15, 2022
Space Coast Florida
www.boxcarcharlie.com
Country
Region
Kochmann probably shows a trademark variant.
That is the great thing about our trade - trying to figure out the past and document it for future generations - the internet has greatly helped all of us on that level - The First one you show reads Marque Deposee and might or might had the DRGM, There was a change in use of the words around the 1940s, { The DRGM / part } I'll recheck my facts on that before finishing my comment tonight. { It has been a long day } now on the variant you posted - it is missing wording and slight change in design. { Background } ,
- Cheers

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
might or might had the DRGM
DRGM is not a trademark.

When you see DRGM imprinted on the object, either the maker of the object is required to indicate the fact that the patent is being used (either through patent law or by the owner of the patent) or the maker of the object is "bragging" about the use of patented technology in their object.

But, DRGM is not a trademark (or logo, if you wish).

The First one you show reads Marque Deposee and might or might had the DRGM, There was a change in use of the words
Marque Deposee is the French term for trademark.

So, your spring winder is showing that the logo is trademarked (presumably in Switzerland) and it contains patented German technology. Since German and French are both official languages in Switzerland, it is not unusual to me that both languages will show on the spring winder.

Regards.

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Box Car Charlie

NAWCC Member
Aug 15, 2022
Space Coast Florida
www.boxcarcharlie.com
Country
Region
(presumably in Switzerland) and it contains patented German technology
It will be interesting to see what comes from this
I copied a bit from the website / Toy collectors music and tools , many have asked on DRGM
As Follows in sort ::
---------------------------------------
D.R.G.M. was a copyright designation that was used in Germany between 1891 - 1951.
DRGM toys are highly collectible. It's not a brand, but stands for Deutsches Reichs Gebrauchs Muster and has been used from 1891 to approx. 1945
D.R.G.M. registration was introduced 1891 and if you are dating items you should hold in mind that even during Allied occupation up until 1949,
----------------------------------------
Most have agreed that ending was around 1945, all three are statements from different site, I'll go on Germany trade mark site
Deutsches Patent- und Markenamt to make sure - just though I would throw this out there before shutting down for the night 5:00am comes early
-----------------------------------------
I will search to see - if this machine held multiple pat dates as I get time, we went from mainspring winder to Rounding up tool { My fault } - it is all interconnected anyways
--------------------------------------------
This is the machine with the trade mark / Which appears to be a company made Rounding Up Topping Tool ? Charles Piaget & Cie. of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.
My other one is from Germany and a has zero markings
First one is hallmarked Second one is not / Both of these are in use in my tiny work area and I'm rebuilding a odd ball one that will be just for display
- Cheers
3deaa52dadab4eb6b0e244d1dce42faf.jpg
zzzzzz7.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
D.R.G.M. was a copyright designation that was used in Germany between 1891 - 1951.
This is incorrect.

'DRGM' stands for Deutches Reich Gebrauchsmuster, which is a utility patent. They were for technical improvements (they were not design patents). It is NOT a copyright.

D.R.G.M. registration was introduced 1891 to approx. 1945
This is correct.

I will search to see - if this machine held multiple pat dates as I get time,
If it holds or uses a German patent (as opposed to technical improvement or a DRGM) it will show as 'DRP' - Deutsches Reich Patent.

Regards.

Box Car Charlie

NAWCC Member
Aug 15, 2022
Space Coast Florida
www.boxcarcharlie.com
Country
Region
This is incorrect.

'DRGM' stands for Deutches Reich Gebrauchsmuster, which is a utility patent. They were for technical improvements (they were not design patents). It is NOT a copyright.
I understand this part { Thank you } and all other that you had mentioned

It was late last night when I was posting and sometimes I do not come across clear

------------------
I understand the copyright - trade mark - and now looking in to Pat. rights - design - as in the second photo above - nothing is marked on it

And so with the third one I'm restoring photo below this - The machine it self { Rounding Up / Topping Tool } I see slight variations in how they were laid out } while holding the same cutters / { I have a few different cutter / brand wise } each fits the different machines I have.

--------------------

Here are my intentions :::: To gather every bit of info I can ?

Design / Pat. Rights ? Where - when - who and How ? ::: Hence my statement about German Pat Office above

Manufactures - ::: Example was the machine I have made by { Charles Piaget & Cie } ? Or made by some else for ?

Who made the others? - Hence looking into pat. and trade marks , - both

These are just things I'm looking into -- which covers everything - Hope that makes since now

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is the third one { The others were purchased as working units } This one I'm taking on - was in really bad shape - seen in first photo { The wheel arrangement is different in this unit } - most people would just scrape it - I have it slightly cleaned in photo number two - next week I'm starting on a complete restoration of - yes , I'm obsessed with old tooling - I use them in my restoration business. - Sorry about the bad photos - you get the general Idea - Time for a spot of tea and off to my bench - can not pay the bills sitting on here ;)
- Cheers

IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1468.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-