INFO wanted on Paul Garnier station regulator

lloydwells

Jan 2, 2021
Country
I have just acquired this clock it's a french railways station regulator by Paul Garnier approx eight feet tall it has a very well made Pinwheel escapement movement and runs very nicely it so has a secondary drive from the rear of the movement that originally ran a double sided slave clock on the platform. I wondered if anyone knew how to date these clocks or where there is any reference material on them ?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I think we would likely benefit from and be more help if we could see pictures of both clock and movement.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
There's plenty of biographical info on Paul Garnier, both in French and English, if you look. The firm was also continued by his son under the same name, and was operating from the late 1820s to the early 1900s from memory.

Garnier was one of the early pioneers of electrical horology in France and I guess the firm would have been making master/slave clocks for some considerable period of time.. As Steven has said, photos of the clock may help those who know about these types of clock to help with the dating.

lloydwells

Jan 2, 2021
Country
Hi a picture wasn't posted as the forum wouldn't do it having struggled to get in here all day it appears the forums modem was dead anyway let's see if these load it's this specific model I'm looking for info on not general bio on Garnier himself.

IMG_20210227_181314_076.jpg IMG_20210227_150535_935.jpg

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

Yes, the pictures have loaded - you have a nice clock, I've come across a couple of examples before, but they are not the most common, as I believe this is a month-running movement, usually destined for an office or factory. It was made around 1880, a time at which Garnier was particularly active like most French manufacturers given the large demand for clocks at the time in the country, but also abroad. Apart from the biographical information mentioned above, that's about all that can be said.

Regards.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
That's a good piece! Once I did an image search For Paul Garnier and found some information, some of which was a restored train station in Romania, if I recall correctly. I frequently see the movements for sale, which prompted me to do a search to see what the cases looked like.

lloydwells

Jan 2, 2021
Country
I like it I paid £120 for it previous owner listed in in eBay as a grandfather clock as I buy quite a lot from eBay France I recognised what it was. It even has the original winding and case keys with it. Mostly I collect early electric clocks but this is significantly less noisy than my ITR master clock so this has become the favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff