• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Info on Simplex wall clock

paradise

Jun 24, 2007
florida
Country
Region
Hello all: I'm looking for some information on a large Simplex wall clock called Executive wall Clock. Its large with a 24 inch dial. It is part number 550-032. The coils do not have a voltage stamped on them but have a part number of 542-040. Its very clean and all the gears and associated parts move freely and properly. What Im not getting is an impulse from the coils. They are very clean with no breaks in the wrapping so probably undamaged. They read about 1100 ohms across and I tried it with 12 volts then 24 volts which seem to be standard for these things with no reaction.
Simply, if the coils were impulsing the clock would work fine. Anyone have any ideas?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I can't find a match for your numbers. The movement is a Heavy Duty Impulse Movement Type 563-2. The magnets came in various DC voltages, including 48 and 110 volts DC.
I've seen this movement used with skeleton wall clocks (similar to tower clocks). I have a customer with a pair of them. Needs a master clock to run them.

paradise

Jun 24, 2007
florida
Country
Region
need info on voltage to use

I recently got a large built in wall type wall clock. It came with a diagram for the placement of the hour marks which are aluminum bars 2 inches long 1/2 inch wide. The blueprint for this locator has a part number on it but I don't know if it refers to the print or the clock. The clock is called EXECUTIVE WALL CLOCK made by Simplex Time Recorder Co. The markers form a dial 24 inches in diameter. It is called a type 48. The blueprint says part number 550-032. The coils have a number on them of 542-040. Everything works well and all moves easily, what I need to know is what voltage do I use to actuate the coils. They read about 1800 ohms. I put a car battery across the coils and got no reaction.
Does anyone recognize this clock or have a suggestion as to what voltage to use to make it work. I appreciate whatever help I can get.
Thanks all
Paradise

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Re: need info on voltage to use

1800 ohms sounds a little high.
Are you sure your not measuring the shunt resistor on an open coil?
Tinker Dwight

paradise

Jun 24, 2007
florida
Country
Region

I thought it high too but there are no resistors or actually anything else just a nice clean wire coming off each coil with a jumper between the two not attached to anything else. If the coils are good and the voltage right they should work. I'm thinking perhaps higher voltage because this is a large works. The hands should be close to 2 feet long which would need a good size kick to make it jump. What I'm hoping is that someone will identify this clock, know it and know what voltage it uses.
Thanks.......paradise

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA

Even at 48 volts, it is only 1.28 watts. That seems low compared to
other slave clocks.
Are you sure it is not an AC clock?
Tinker Dwight

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Pictures of what you have may help. Try 2 batteries in series as 24 volts DC is the most commonly used voltage.

Thanks, Martin, forgot about this thread. Looks like a repeat.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA

Harold indicates that some clocks were pulse by 110 DC.
That would be about 6 .7 watts. More like the kind of power wasted to drive a
clock. It is ampere turns that pull the coil in. at 48V that is 26.7 ma.
I could believe 48V as well.
Tinker Dwight

paradise

Jun 24, 2007
florida
Country
Region

It looks like I inquired before. Completely slipped my mind: theres so little of it left at this age. No I don't see anything that looks like any other electronic part just a set of contacts. I did post some pictures yesterday I think.
Thanks for the Simples Au info Martin. I sent them an inquiry we'll see if they answer. I used 12 volts because so many of these use 12 or more volts so I figured I wouldn't hurt anything with 12 volts. Going to 24 volts is a big jump so I think I'm going to do some more homework before I set up two batteries. Maybe someone will recognize this mechanism. Thanks everyone for the help. I do have a master clock, Like most of y'all I have several. Thanks again.
paradise

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I can't find a match for your numbers. The movement is a Heavy Duty Impulse Movement Type 563-2. The magnets came in various DC voltages, including 48 and 110 volts DC.
I've seen this movement used with skeleton wall clocks (similar to tower clocks). I have a customer with a pair of them. Needs a master clock to run them.
I did identify it the first time through. In my experience there are always at least 24 volts or more. I've never seen a 12 volt system from Simplex.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMD
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit