Info On Old Wooden Works-Nice Stencil Clock?

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by popeye, Sep 1, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. popeye

popeye Registered User

May 8, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Picked this one up. It looks to be in good condition. I have the key and bob. It say P. Barnes & Co. Bristol Ct. Cleaned up the case. Couple of questions. Never saw this company. Is this a rare or uncommon piece-any info on company? I am missing bottom glass pane. Any ideas on what the original might have been or finding a replacement. How can I tell if feet are original? Also saw one pic of a Barnes and it had a bell instead of a coil-should I replace it with a bell? Lastly any idea on age? Here are some pics and advice appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. popeye

popeye Registered User

May 8, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Here are some more:

Attached Files:

3. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Popeye, Nice looking clock. Acording to Taylor & Roberts book on the Connecticut Shelf Clock, P. Barnes & Co was in business in 1836-37 in Bristol,CN. All the tall case wood mvt clocks I have owned and seen from that period that have had feet, had carved paw. The ball feet seem to be a little later, such as those on tripple decker clocks. Of course there are exceptions seen all the time. As for the bell, the damage has been done so it is up to you. I would replace the bell. The gong and ball feet might have been an attempt to bring the clock into fashion at the time. Tom Moberg(989-723-3112) could do a fabulous job of reproducing a tablet on old glass. Paul

4. Bob Reichel

Bob Reichel Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow

Feb 13, 2001
    I was struck by seeing the "sousa-phone" cutout for the countwheel flirt. I've never seen this before. Suspect someone wanted an easier way to install the flirt and synchronize it with the warning.
    Yes, you have a nice clock and you are encouraged to complete your restoration with a painted tablet. Besides the Moberg reference, see your Mart publication for others doing reverse painting tablets.

5. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a stunning clock. It's rare to see "double" tortoise shell columns like these, where the clock isn't divided like a double or triple decker. I have, however, seen a *few* examples like this.

It's too bad that someone cut that triangular hole in the front plate for the count hook. But it's not usually visible.

It's really too bad that the tablet is missing. It would likely have been fairly elaborate, and perhaps divided into sections:

Example:
    http://www.cottoneauctions.com/old/images/ARVAYCLOCKAUCTION/lvnwrth-terry-whiting.jpg

6. popeye

popeye Registered User

May 8, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for replies. Looked at the feet of the pics. This looks like my pictures aren't the same for those claw feet. True?