Info on Hamilton wrist watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Peter Canna, Jul 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Canna

Peter Canna Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Hi this is my first post so please excuse any missteps.

I am trying to get some info on a Hamilton wrist watch with a 10k gold case 27mm x 30mm and the following movement. I'll try to attach pictures.

I believe the movement model number is 987A and the serial number is 0160139. I acquired it as part of a group from another "collector". Although it's running great and appears in great shape, I doubt it's been serviced for decades. Based on the style, I'm guessing it's from the 40's?

The case number is 1253066. It also has what I assume are watchmaker marks etched in the back. One states GL, A4148. The other states 8M61CM. The 6 could be a 4.

How can I determine the age of the watch? And any other information you can provide would be appreciated.

What do the marks mean? I'm relatively new to collecting (not in age but in the hobby). I've done a few searches but haven't found a lot on Hamiltons. I have a number of early watches so even If you can direct me to another resource it would be helpful.

Thank you!

IMG_8290.jpg IMG_8288.jpg IMG_8292.jpg

viclip likes this.
  2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    The 987A caliber was made from 1937-1948 so your intuition for dating based on style is good.

Hamilton Pocket Watch Information: Serial Number O160139 (Grade 987A) says this serial number is from about 1940.

The scratch marks are indeed made by watchmakers along the way. Mostly you can't expect to make any sense of them, unless they are obviously a date, since everyone used their own codes. Sometimes you'll see a dozen codes that are obviously dates marked by the same watchmaker over the years of his career - those are a delight to come across I think.

In modern days, some of us use a standard code (AWCI assigns their members standard case marks upon request), there may also be other standards I don't know about.

Peter Canna likes this.
  3. Peter Canna

Peter Canna Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Thanks Chris, I appreciate all the information.

It helps a lot. I've only been collecting for a year or so but I find myself focusing on early American brands. This is perfect and will likely be a keeper.

Thanks again!