Info on Columbus Clocks (Monumental)

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by kobrien, Nov 9, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kobrien

kobrien Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    Does anyone have information on these two pictures labeled "Columbus Clock"? The picture with the man standing next to the clock has the name "Nat Royland" (my ancestor) penciled on the back and was taken around 1890 in Columbus, OH. I would like to know if Nat Royland made the two clocks and what were they made for? This was around the time of the 1893 Chicago World Expo commemorating Columbus' discovery. Is there any connection? Thank you for any help you can give.

Attached Files:

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, kobrien, welcome to the message board. A NAWCC bulletin search of Columbus Clock takes me to Bostwick and Burgess Manufacturing Co.
    Spittlers' and Bailey's American Clockmakers and Watchmakers has this: "Norwalk, Ohio, Ca: 1892-1893. Makers of some 20,000 famous wooden movement Columbus Clocks. Head of Columbus on wood dial and date 1492: frequently mistaken for date of clock. Souvenirs at Chicago World Fair 1893 at $5.00: later reportedly sold for $1.00. Waitley of Worthington Ohio believed to have purchased business in 1894. Some examples converted to advertising clocks."
    No hits on the name Nat Royland.

3. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Sponsor Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your info on THOSE wooden Columbus clocks is correct but I doubt that reference has any relevance to THESE Columbus clocks.

4. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know, Scottie, but this was as close as I could get with bulletins and books I have.
    Kobrien, if you send in a research request to the NAWCC library, with your pictures, they might dig up something to help you.

5. kobrien

kobrien Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    I've checked with the NAWCC library and they didn't have any information. They referred me to this forum. These huge clocks in the pictures don't seem to be related to the Columbus Clock Co. of Mississippi or Bostwick and Burgess clocks. I'll keep trying...

6. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    kobrien, I'm going to copy this thread up to the clocks forum to get a few more eyes on it.

7. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This clock is, of course, in the tradition of the NAWCC Museum's own Engle Clock, built in 1878. According to the on-line description, the Engle Clock was one of more than two dozen of these monumental clocks built between 1875 and 1900 that toured the U.S. and Europe. So it could have been made for the Columbian Exposition, or maybe the maker just used the name to capitalize on that event.

8. kobrien

kobrien Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks, Harold. That's a good idea.
    Karen O'Brien

9. kobrien

kobrien Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    Last try at identifying monumental clocks, 1890s

Does anyone have information on these two pictures labeled "Columbus Clock"? The picture with the man standing next to the clock has the name "Nat Royland" (my ancestor) penciled on the back and was taken around 1890 in Columbus, OH. I would like to know if Nat Royland made the two clocks and what were they made for? This was around the time of the 1893 Chicago World Expo commemorating Columbus' discovery. Is there any connection? Thank you for any help you can give.

Attached Files:

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Re: Last try at identifying monumental clocks, 1890s

Hi,

Not sure I have alot to offer, but have attached images of 2 CDV's, obverse and reverse.

First identical to the one on the right with the name "Columbus Clock" at the bottom of the image. CDV by Springfield, OH, studio.

Second is the "Cumberland, MD., Clock" by a John Hendley "of Penna".

Somewhere's stashed away I have an advertising trade card for the Engel Clock along with an original advertising hand bill. If I ever find them, will post.

I believe there was a Bulletin article on monumental clocks. May wish to search Bulletin Index?

RM

Attached Files:

11. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

The dial on the first one has the Waterbury logo on it.

that is all I can say.

12. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hello KObrien,

Pre-radio & tv days people sought out different forms of amusement - traveling show attracted people's attention.

Entrepreneurs were always trying to find a way to make money - a small number of these mega sized clocks with all kinds of activities going on was an amazement and people would pay a penny or nickel to see it in operation!
    The Detroit Historical Museum has one of these clocks on display (several members of our Chapter worked on it to get it running without much success) and NAWCC Museum has the Engel clock on display

It is possible that this clock was made and displayed at 1893 Columbian Exhibition in Chicago.

Jeweler's Circular published a series of articles about the Exhibition and I remember scanning through them, but I did not read closely. If you did some searching you might be able to locate program or find a library that has program from the Exhibition.

Andy

13. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

kobrien, the clocks you pictured remind me strongly of the huge clock on display at NAWCC's museum in Columbia PA as mentioned by Andy Dervan, and oddly, another similar one at Hershey PA.

Do you have any information about the man pictured in your pictures?

14. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Karen, I've merged your thread with your first request, so please, anyone responding, read the entire thread so we don't have to go over the same information twice.

15. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Columbus Clock" was applied to some small clocks turned out by firms at the time of the 1893 exhibition. This reference (below) however -- and can't judge from the photos posted if it's the same clock -- comes from an 1887 issue of the Popular Science Monthly.

Attached Files: