Info on Berguer, London bracket clock?

Gr8ham

Dec 13, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Country
Region
I’ve come across a musical bracket clock marked on the dial and the back plate with “Berguer, London” and was wondering if anyone had any information about the clockmaker or any similarly marked clocks. Britten lists a Charles Berguer as a musical clockmaker in Lonion c. 1825 a sell as a couple other Berguers in the 1800-1820 period.

Thanks!

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Britten lists four makers in London with the name Berguer in the early 1800s, John, Frederick, Franz and Charles. Loomes has three there for the same period, Francis, Frederick and John, he has a fourth with no first name late 18th C at the same street address as John. As that isn't an English name I imagine they were immigrants and related. Pictures of the clock are always nice to see.

bwclock

Feb 17, 2015
Country
I’ve come across a musical bracket clock marked on the dial and the back plate with “Berguer, London” and was wondering if anyone had any information about the clockmaker or any similarly marked clocks. Britten lists a Charles Berguer as a musical clockmaker in Lonion c. 1825 a sell as a couple other Berguers in the 1800-1820 period.

Thanks!
How about a photo?

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Hi, I was the underbidder on your clock. If I hadn’t bought so much other stuff, I would have pressed you more. Regardless, it was a steal. .;)

Ralph

Gr8ham

Dec 13, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, I was the underbidder on your clock. If I hadn’t bought so much other stuff, I would have pressed you more. Regardless, it was a steal. .;)

Ralph
A pleasure to meet you Ralph! My daughter's education fund thanks you for not pressing further! What other goodies did you score?

Gr8ham

Dec 13, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Country
Region
I don't suppose anyone has any photos/knowledge of any other clocks by any of the Berguers working in London in the early 19th century? My assumption is that this clock would have been by Charles Berguer since Britten lists him alone of the four as a musical clock maker. For such a complicated movement it seems hard to believe there aren't others running around out there.

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
Very nice and unusual clock...what are the chances you could post a video of it striking?

There is a Berguer clock in this Dreweatts and Bloomsbury catalogue 22 Feb 2012 Lot 247. The auction listing suggests that they were 1st generation Swiss immigrants, as there was a Berger(Berguer) family working a generation earlier in Chaux-de-Fonds.

I looked further and Chapuis lists a Samuel Berger (Berguer) (1727-1777) from Signau, working at Chaux-de-Fonds and mentions bells for carillons amongst other things (I don't understand all of his short hand). And a Jonas Berger (Berguer) from Signau, working at Chaux-de-Fonds from 1773-1781. Could be a relation.

PDF Download - Bloomsbury Auctions (yumpu.com)

Will

Gr8ham

Dec 13, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Country
Region
Very nice and unusual clock...what are the chances you could post a video of it striking?

There is a Berguer clock in this Dreweatts and Bloomsbury catalogue 22 Feb 2012 Lot 247. The auction listing suggests that they were 1st generation Swiss immigrants, as there was a Berger(Berguer) family working a generation earlier in Chaux-de-Fonds.

I looked further and Chapuis lists a Samuel Berger (Berguer) (1727-1777) from Signau, working at Chaux-de-Fonds and mentions bells for carillons amongst other things (I don't understand all of his short hand). And a Jonas Berger (Berguer) from Signau, working at Chaux-de-Fonds from 1773-1781. Could be a relation.

PDF Download - Bloomsbury Auctions (yumpu.com)

Will
Thanks very much for that! I've been poking around as well and so far that is the only reference I can locate to an actual clock with the Berguer name on it.

I'll see what I can do about a video.

Gr8ham

Dec 13, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Country
Region
By way of update I've had a chance to look more closely at the movement and attach some photos. The nest of bells is misaligned due to a broken support post so I'll have to rectify that before I can post a video of it chiming.

One fusee train runs the big musical chime, one train runs the time, a third train runs the quarter chime with a separate chime barrel and hammers and the fourth runs the hour strike. The spring barrels are currently fitted with chains but also have the three holes more typical of having had gut lines at one point. Interestingly the fusee cones have more or less flat grooves rather than rounded ones.

I've added a 12" ruler to the photo of the backplate to give some perspective on just how large this movement is...

Berguer 10.jpg

Berguer 6.jpg

Berguer 8.jpg

Berguer 9.jpg

Berguer 7.jpg

Last edited:

Alex KVASHIN

Jun 20, 2020
Moscow
Country
Very cool movement! I can imagine how heavy it is.
I have seen the fusee cone with flat tracks but for gut lines. If there hole in fusee for gut line fix that means that chain is not original.
Please share music record when ready.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
yes barrel suggests it was once gut. Lovely hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner