Info needed

LauraG

Jul 31, 2016
NYC
Country
Anybody know anything about this beautiful art nouveau clock?
It is stamped 340 pat pend on back and is painted metal. The clock case itself is
stamped Oct 1902 . Thanks for whatever info you can give me. image.jpg image.jpg

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
It looks similar to some of the "Nursery" clocks that Lux and Syroco did, only larger. I don't know of a Lux movement with those control positions.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Personally, I don't think this is an American clock, I think it is European, but that is just a feeling, I may be wrong.

It is possible that the maker's name is on the back of the movement. In order to have a look, unscrew the winder (wind it the opposite way to the way you wind the clock and it will just come off). Remove the three little screws and lift off the cover. Post a photo of the movement, even if there is no name, someone may be able to identify it.

JTD

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Hi Laura, I agree with JTD, I think this clock is European. And to my eye, most probably German. Please do remove the back and post a picture of the movement.

LauraG

Jul 31, 2016
NYC
Country
Well, under the darkest part of the rust on the back of the case I finally noticed that it says "Made in USA" so that answers that question . No marks on the works which to my untrained eye look like a later replacement for whatever was there originally. I'm wondering if that unusual, non symmetrical design on the top center front of the clock is a clue- it's an unusual design.

Attachments

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Last edited by a moderator:

LauraG

Jul 31, 2016
NYC
Country
Thanks Martin! The backs of those Western clocks are identical to my clock (as are the dials) so mine must be one of theirs but the styling is still so different, so much more refined and artsy for lack of a better word that I'm very surprised to learn it's a Western. Thanks again for your good research, it's much appreciated!

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
There is one, listed as "art nouveau", on that big auction site, that's very similar to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller