• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Info needed on a Long Case Clock from Thomas Bradford, Buckingham

mproulx

Jul 8, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Country
Region
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any info on a clockmaker named Thomas Bradford, Buckingham. I have a Tall Case Clock with that info on the dial. It's a single hand clock witch means its probably form around 1750 or earlier I believe... Any information would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Michel

ToddT

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Country
Region
Any pictures you can provide of the case / dial / movement / whole clock will be appreciated and will go a long ways towards helping people help you.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
There is quite a lot about him in the book on Buckingham makers, though most of the personal detail comes from his will they say, and you could obtain a copy of that.

Generally you can't date a clock by whether or not it is single handed, that continued right up to and including painted dial clocks so for as long as brass dial clocks were made there were single handed versions.

However in this case mid 18th century was his when he finished working, dying in 1759, his first work recorded in 1715.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
The twin cherub spandrels were used in London to about 1725 but until 1750 in provinces so that probably cuts off the last 10 years of his working life.

novicetimekeeper might have a better view on the half hour markers and their use on 30 hour clocks?

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The twin cherub spandrels were used in London to about 1725 but until 1750 in provinces so that probably cuts off the last 10 years of his working life.

novicetimekeeper might have a better view on the half hour markers and their use on 30 hour clocks?
There are four dials shown in the book, none has the twin cherub spandrels nor the lozenge half hours. The little arrows either side of the hour are also missing from his later work.

I think you are right that this is from his earlier period and perhaps he did some of the engraving himself.

That bell is an unusual style for a posted frame clock, it is the style favoured by knibb. There is only one movement shown in the book but it is a more conventional shape

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnfn70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller