Info, Burlington Special

laumeg

Jan 22, 2011
Houston, Texas
Country
Region
Hi Im adding some pictures of a Burlington Special that I again got from my Father in Law. This watch has a very simple/plain face in compariston to others that I have seen posted. At first I thought this would mean a less grade watch, but now not so sure. I know the movement is supposed to be made by Illinois Watch Co. That appears to be the case but cant completely see the full name. It is listed with 19 jewels. Inside the back cover it reads; 14K, Guaranteed 20 years, 1129279, ESSEX (I was hoping the picture would show up better) The final pictue is the end of the chain again marked 14K. Any other information would be nice, but just posted to add to the knowledge. My knowledge is very limited. Thanks for looking. Charles 85267.jpg 85268.jpg 85269.jpg 85270.jpg

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Illinois marketed these under the Burlington name. Unfortunately yours has been recased as the original cases would have had the Burlington name on the back cover. It is a good quality movement which the Illinois experts can enlighten you about. I have one of these and it keeps excellent time.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Charles:

To add to the information that richiec posted, you may learn more by viewing the Burlington Watch Co. Encyclopedia article.

The movement would have originally been in a Burlington-signed hunting case. The case it is now in was made by the Essex Watch Case Co., which was long out of business when the movement was made.

Good luck,

Bratdaddy@mac.com

Dec 1, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Country
Hello Charles,

Based on the variations of Burlington watches I own, I can tell you that they are satisfying to collect and carry. I agree with Richiec that they can be very accurate timekeepers. They are available in several configurations. Personally, I'm fond of the Getty variant. Proper hunter model dials are getting scarce, but that shouldn't put you off if you decide this is the beginning of a Burlington collection. Now and then a Burlington certificate turns up along with a watch, note the attached pics. If you do decide to begin collecting pocket watches I'll offer one suggestion-never confuse value with cost. Good Luck!

Mike 85371.jpg 85372.jpg 85373.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evocatas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre