info about a possible breguet pocket watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jack, Aug 12, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jack

jack New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Hello, I recently aquired a keywound (from the back), openfaced, gold cased, silver dial, quarter repeater. It looks very much like pictures of Breguet's pieces from about 1820. (See picture 1)

I came accross very similar pictures of this watch in the website of the nawcc museum:
    http://www.nawcc.org/museum/nwcm/galleries/pocketwatch/brequet.htm

The seller told me that behind the dial it was signed Breguet but when I took off the face, I saw several scratches and a signature, something like "Berthaud" (pic.2) and the number 4243.
    The machine works wonderfully well. The outer back case is seemingly 18kt gold and has a different number on it than the dial (#3142).

The repeater is a crown pump mechanism and on the top left side has a small slide lever, which when in the down position appears to lock the pump mechanism on the repeater.

I have several questions about this watch: I wonder if anyone can give me any idea about the maker and the possible history about the watch. Second, why the numbers on the case and behind the dial would be different. And thirdly, what is the point of this little lever on the side?

Since I am a novel collector of pocket watches, i would like to hear any ideas/comments about this watch.
    Thanks!
    Jack

Attached Files:

2. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Jack

This great maker was copied by many other makers in Europe. I have 3 signed the same way but none of the are by this master. I am not an expert on him but from the appearance it loks like a copy. If it is original the quality would be better and you would have to find his secret signature on the dial.

3. Nachtmotte

Nachtmotte Registered User

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A live link in ubb code is of the form [ url=http://address.htm] Description [ /url]. It is a bit different from a standard A tag.

Omit the space following the '[" brackets above to make it work.

5. jack

jack New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    hi harold,
    thanks for your reply. but it raises two questions for me: 1)are you referring to the signed name of berthaud, who would have a secret signature or are we assuming that berthaud was an employee of breguet's and handsigned his name on behalf of breguet?
    2)why do you question the quality of this watch? i have several early 19th century pieces, but this is byfar the best constructed movement and elagant sounding repeater tones.
    thanks again for your reply and looking forward to hearing for further thoughts.
    jack

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1) The secret signature is Breguet scratched in very small writing on the dial. Breguet invented the method to complicate counterfeit. It is on teh dial usually near 12.

2) Yours is a nice watch, better than most but not of the quality expected of Breguet. You have to see a few of them to see the difference.

3) Berthaud was another famous maker but I doubt the signature under the dial is his either. Breguets workers sometimes did sign the watches, they built but yours does not look like one of them.

This is not a blanket statement that it can not possible be a Breguet but you would need a lot of similar examples and study to prove yours came from them. IT does not look like the work usually expected.