Inexpensive USB microscope

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Rick Hufnagel, Jul 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After seeing some members writing about their stereo microscopes and all these wonderful tools everyone uses to really see very well, I started a search for a usable piece of equipment in my very modest price range. I ended up finding an old dissecting microscope at the school i work at to use until i find my own, but while online I stumbled across this little gem. It was $20, and is incredible as an inspection tool. The first picture is up close on an 18s balance cap jewel. Second is a working level where the scope is far enough away that i can get in there with tweezers and oilers. Then a pic of the pallet stones in the 6498 wrist watch i am wearing (dirty and dry!). Great for seeing the escapement in action, or oiling pallet stones! Since i unboxed this... i already see problems with lubrication. Balance pivots, train pivots and holes... i can see it all without jamming my whole head into the work with a loupe.

Why post about this? I love it! Plus instead of trying to look through an eyepiece on a scope, you just look at the computer screen. (which will take some getting used too) You can take pictures like below, or videos. I used the video function to slow it down and check amplitude. Still working on figuring it all out, i'm not exactly computer savy. I actually just got this Chromebook last week, so still trying to figure everything out, lol.

It plugged right into my Chromebook, and works great with pretty decent resolution. Its not a professional setup, but so far is working great for me!

What do you think?

IMG_20190707_190902.png IMG_20190707_190935.png IMG_20190707_191103.png IMG_20190707_162834429.jpg

Kevin W., musicguy and Jim Haney like this.
  2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    great photos, who made it? Would love to get one.PM me if it can't be posted on the board.

3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a tool so, as long as it is a regular stock item, it can be posted.

4. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I will give a review once I get mine, was a little nervous about Chinese microscopes but hopefully mine will work as well as yours Rick.

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got mine yesterday, haven't uploaded all of the features but just trying it out on a few pivots and plate holes, it is really good for the $20 price. Wish I bought one a few years ago.

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  7. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have it working on my phone too, except I can't get it to capture pictures with the phone, I'll have to try another application to run it I think.

I use it a lot, that's for sure. Glad it's working for you too!