Indetifying two old pocket watches

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by ville1981, Jan 13, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ville1981

ville1981 New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Hello everyone.

Years ago I'v receaved two old pocket watches from my grand father, who has now passed away. I'v tried to scout thru the internet finding some information on these watches but have not been succesfull so far.

The first watch is an Omega pocket watch. On the bottom of the front side it says "Swiss Made". Inside, after opening the back case, there is a text "Omega Swiss 15 Jewels" and a serial number: 12301206. The machinery is gold in colour.

I do not have a clue, but if I'd have to take a quess this watch is from maybe 1950s-1960s and is not that rare... Am I right?

The second watch is a bit more tricky... On the front it has a text "E J Herlin Helsinki". On the back plate it has a text (the text is a bit worn down so there might be miss spelling) "Inore Ligne Droite Double Plateau 15 Rubis Levées Visibles". If you open the back plate there is a stamp on the left hand side with a picture of a moon, a crown and a letter J. On the right hand side there is a number 0.800 and on the bottom a serial number 2367170, beneath that a letter H and beneath that a number 5. The machinery is platin/silver in colour. Obviously this is a watch made in Fnland and the watch-smith E J Herlin was born in 1857, died in 1908. But that is all I know about him.

If somebody has ANY information on these watches, please let me know!

Thank you so much!
    kollaasi.jpg - 104.7 Kb

2. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two different lists showing Omega production by serial number and year. Both indicate that S/N 12301206 was made about 1950.

I believe that your other watch was Swiss made. The inscription, "E J Herlin Helsinki" is most likely the name and location of the retail jeweler who originally sold the watch. The inscriptions (which are in French) indicate that you have a 15 jewel lever escapement movement with exposed pallet stones. The case hallmarks show that the case is solid coin silver (800 parts of silver out of 1000 parts total) and is also Swiss made. A clear posted photo might help, but it is likely that the exact manufacturer may never be known.