• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

IMPERIAL BUREN

D

DADSTIMESHOP

Hi I'm new hopefully this will be my new home.
I'm interested in fining out more about a watch I have and a value if possible.
Its an Imperial Watch the Dial is beautiful no crazing and has a soft pick center with gold circles around each of the numbers it also has numbers at each 5 minute,it has Imperial Watch Co. and under it it says non-magnetci it has 4 lids, the movement reads Buren Watch Co, and in all caps underneat IMPERIAL it also says 15 jewels, 3 adusted, non-magnetic
Can anyone tell me about this watch

Thanks

Frank Menez

Deceased
Jul 11, 2003
Somersworth NH
Country
Region
Swiss Watch Company Foundation Data

Company- Buren Watch
Founded- Year 1867
City- Buren a.A.
By- F. Suter

Found another site on the internet that gives the following info

Buren watches founded in Switzeland 1873. The company purchased by Hamiliton Watch Co. (USA) in the 196Os

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Pritchard's Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 has a long entry on Buren. She confirms that Imperial was one of their trademarks.

This reference also states that teh complete history of the company is the subject of Hans Kocher-Aeschbacher book, Die Geschichte der Uhrmacherei in Buren . This is in German and translates as the story of hte Watchmaking factory in Buren. It was published by Callwey (Munich) 1992. It may be available from the NAWCC Library.

CZHACK

Apr 28, 2005
Country
Region
We are not allowed to discuss value in this forum but an internet search will discuss numerous Buren PWs to give you a starting point.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi DADSTIMESHOP:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

From 1899 to 1932, Buren was the Swiss factory of H. Williamson, Ltd, an English company. Williamson, bought a watch factory in Switzerland and created the Buren Watch Company. Ads in the 1920's proclaimed Buren to be "The Perfect Watch" and boasted of the linking up of Swiss watch manufacturing with British Enterprise and Capital. This came to an end during the Great Depression and Buren came to be an independent Swiss firm. This occurred in 1932 when the employees bought the plant and it became The Buren Watch Co., Switzerland.

As Dr. Jon mentioned, Mr. Hans Kocher, author of the 1992 book on the Buren Watch Co. (in German) 'Die Geschichte der Uhrmacherei in Buren," worked at Buren from 1951 to 1971. From 1956 to 1968 he was the technical director and from 1968 to 1971 he served as the general manager.

On March 1, 1966 Buren Watch Co. was acquired by Hamilton (which then became a part of SMH) and the Swiss factory became Buren Watch Hamilton. This ended in 1972 when production ceased at Buren Watch Hamilton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller