I'm Confused -Edwards Movement school clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Atlas-IX1001, Dec 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Atlas-IX1001

Atlas-IX1001 New Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Today I bought an Edwards school clock, plugged it in and was glad to see the hands moving. But I quickly noticed that the hande was sluggish. The second handhdoesn't fully stop but it but seems to slow down and speed up in waves.
    There are schematics on the clock for both wiring "as a part of an Edwards clock system" and "as an individual clock".
    In the individual clock schematic it has the red wire disconnected with "tape end of this lead". With the others three running "to convenience outlet". Well there were no loose wires in the clock. All four ran into the plug. I thought this might be causing the clock to be sluggish so I took it apart and found the red connected to the ground. I removed it, taped it. Plugged it back in and... Nothing. The clock hands don't move at all. Can anyone please help? I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

2. Atlas-IX1001

Atlas-IX1001 New Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Some pictures

mujpzl.jpg 2e1vo6c.jpg smvvb5.jpg

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The red is used when the clock is connected to a master clock which trips the reset motor to keep all the school clocks in synch. As an individual clock the red should not be used. Rewire it according to the Individual clock diagram. The uneven rotation of the hands usually indicates wear in the pivots or bushings.

4. davefr

davefr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Semi Retired Engr. Mgr - Currently Rebuilding Tele
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Telechron B-3 rotor used for timekeeping could be worn out. What I'd do is swap the two B-3 rotors. The rotor used for reset is probably very close to NOS Like condition since it's duty cycle is negligible compared to the main rotor that runs 24/7.

You should also inspect the clock's movement. They're pretty robust movements and very simple to clean and inspect.

THTanner likes this.
  5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. Atlas-IX1001

Atlas-IX1001 New Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you both very much! I'm going to try swapping the B-3s first. If that doesn't work, I will definitely go through that site. Thank you again

7. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    It's an Edwards/Auth/Telechron Slave Clock - with a normal and reset motor. The reset rate is 10x - you can energize the second winding to advance with a switch. We still make one tower clock movement for legacy applications that uses the same reset system.

We do make a key switch and our tower clock master clock - that would reset it - I would just get a switch.

I've also attached a historical data sheet on this type of reset system.

Self-Starting Electric Clock Systems Bulletin A-15-AIA_Page_12.jpg