• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Illinois watch- how do I do this?????

Paul Umfleet

Jul 11, 2010
My collection is now up to 10 watches. I just got this one today. #503215 I have not before seen this outfit for adjusting the speed. I fear to try anything without advice. The “lever” that you move to adjust the speed goes into a slot on top of what appears to be a screw that is fastened to what looks like a fine toothed gear. Help please? Thanks, Paul 75424.jpg 75425.jpg

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
yes...
what u have is a grade 65s with a Chambers Patent Regulator

the very small screw near the case edge has a pinion that engages the 'gear' on the outside of the disc with the regulator arm retainer.

turning the screw turns the larger gear, moving the regulator.

the Chambers patent differs from the earlier Wheeler Patent in that the Wheeler relied on friction to move the larger disc.

i think somewhere on the MB the chambers patent is posted....

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
It appears I have misstated the name of this Regulator...

It is a Chamlers Patent... Not Chambers Patent....

Thanks for the PM alerting me Larry !!!!

Here is a related article....
https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=31828

as can be seen... I did it there too !!! :)

Paul Umfleet

Jul 11, 2010
Now that is really cool! Thanks for helping me learn the hobby. Another answer please- The Illinois Watch Company database project just says this is a “grade 65 or 65-S”. How do you know this is a 65s and not just a 65. I think I ran into that on one of my other watches. I am having difficulty trying to figure out models and grades. When I see watches listed on eBay with the serial number I go to the database and look up the model. That is kind of trial and error. Is there a good resource for studying the models and the grades?

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Rats !!!! Like Charlie Brown say.........:mysad:

Thank you for keeping me straight !!

Chalmers....Chalmers.....Chalmers....Chalmers.....Chalmers....Chalmers.

Through most of Megger's writings he gives a Grade and an 'S' sufffix...
IMHO (and I HAVE been wrong!) if the movement is nickel, has patent regulator, private label... then "I" consider the S suffix

that should open the door for discussion!!

Fred... John.... Larry... jump on in!

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
Terry, this is just one area of many where I would never "jump on in" because I just don't have the knowledge. Besides, I'd probably break a leg or sprain an ankle if I were to jump in anywhere these days.

Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Renegade
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent