American PW Illinois Watch Co Case Roman (swiss) Movement?

Lundvike

Jan 6, 2014
I am completely new to this forum and pocket watches so I apologize if this is an easy one for someone. I was recently given a pocket from my father which had been given to him by a friend. I was hoping to get some more information about the watch specifically who made the movement.

The Face is labelled as ROMAN (which confuses me)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikingsungod/11812743176/

The Case is labelled as Illinois Watch Co
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikingsungod/11812749486

The Movement says ROMAN as well
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikingsungod/11812264543

The only other mark I can see is "367" which is on the movement under one of the gears.
Any info would be appreciated, Thank you!

Attachments

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi :

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

You may be interested in the Encyclopedia article entitled "Illinois Watch Case Co."

This thread will probably be moved (by the moderator) to the European & Other Pocket Watches Forum. It may receive more complete information from the experts who frequent that forum.

Good luck,

Lundvike

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks both of you. Nigel I measured it as 38mm so size 10 I think (again I fall back on utter newbie and likely wrong) and Kent I wasn't sure which forum to use as there seemed to be mixed components, some american and some european. Am I correct in assuming watches should be classified by the movement? eg this is swiss so it is european not american where the case was made.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
... Am I correct in assuming watches should be classified by the movement? eg this is swiss so it is european not american where the case was made.
Its not as simple as that. Swiss movements that are a private label watch for U.S. companies, marketed in the U.S. frequently appear in the American Pocket Watch forum. Its sort of a judgement call.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Lundvike,

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board !.

I did move the thread to the European Forum for more info on the movement.

Kent has explained the Case.

Thanks

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
hello
movement made by Unitas 16''' ½ caliber 134 or 135 uncommon size i think to fit american case
regards enrico

topspy

NAWCC Member
Nov 17, 2013
Oregon
www.fixmypocketwatch.com
Country
Region
See the 'parts' sticky thread at the top of this forum category. Even if your watchmaker cannot find the exact part #, he should be able to measure the thickness, width, length, and attachment style of the spring and source one that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
4040eddym
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre