Illinois Sangamo Special serial #2835797

Discussion in 'Lost or Stolen Horological Items' started by Fred Hansen, Jul 7, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User

Aug 18, 2002
    Illinois Watch Co. "Sangamo Special" 21 Jewel serial #2835797

If anyone sights this watch please let me know!

It has gone missing and I believe was likely stolen in transit during shipment between Downers Grove, IL and Reidsville, NC over this weekend.

Tomorrow I will be reporting this at the post office at my end as will the intended recipient, and unless there is some other explanation I will be reporting the watch stolen and filing a postal claim.

Fred

2. clockhoarder

clockhoarder Registered User

May 14, 2009
    Funny, it seems that the Post office raises rates and more packages "Vanish" Happens to me more often lately. I hope you get it back! Did the package have a tracking number?

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Fred, was this sent Registered Mail or Insured Priority Mail?

I have never lost a registered mail package although I came close once when a postal worker got distracted and knocked the package behind the copy machine. They found it when I made inquiry. With registered mail they know to the individual who last handled it.

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User

Aug 18, 2002
    Insured Priority mail, I should have went with Registered but I had never had this problem before.

I'm still navigating the claims process ... as of right now the postal workers on my end have told me that the recipient needs to fill out a form 1000, but the postal workers on the recipient's end have told him that I need to fill out the form 1000.

So my next step will be pinning down someone there that does know what they are talking about.

Fred

5. Larry S

Larry S Registered User

Oct 16, 2001
    I have gone thru this proccess before as the buyer, and the seller took care of the paper work. But then, this is the us postal service.:(

Larry

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    #6 Tom McIntyre, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    FWIW Fred, your post office has to initiate the claim because the postal contract is with you, not the recipient. You paid them for the service.

Of course, relatively few postal workers are really trained on this stuff. You probably need to talk to your local postmaster. (Although in my post office, the postmaster is the least informed employee. :()

7. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User

Aug 24, 2000
    Fred,

You have to fill out a form and turn it into your

PO.

8. Bryan Eyring

Bryan Eyring Registered User

Dec 11, 2007
    I have had no less than 3 insured packages lost. For this reason I LIVE by Registered or Signature Confirmation!

Good luck getting this ironed out...

Regards,
    Bryan

9. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Fred, keep us posted on this!

10. Bryan Eyring

Dec 11, 2007
    Fred, any word on this?

Photos would be helpful for most of us!

11. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Isn't this one on 149?

12. cons14

cons14 Registered User

Mar 15, 2008
    It's been a few weeks since you reported this watch missing. How's the progress? Did it show up?

13. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Hi Fred, have you any news yet on the stolen watch?

14. Bryan Eyring

Dec 11, 2007
    Fred did you recover this item?

15. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User

Feb 22, 2013
    Never put "Fragile,Handle with Care or Do not fold staple or Mutilate" sometimes a large insurance will target it for being ran over or being Vaporized. I have just gone to Priority with conformation and tracking and have had better and faster shipping. anything really expensive goes UPS or Fed-EX.