Illinois pocket watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jason sta, Dec 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. Jason sta

Jason sta Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have this 19j Burlington (Illinois) pocket watch that has an interesting dial on it. It has a Portugal flag and a us flag on it. The movement is from 1908ish. The Portuguese flag was changed in 1911 to the flag that's on the dial. I've been looking for info on it for awhile now. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

20191201_221140.jpg 20191201_221046.jpg

viclip likes this.
  2. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    I usually don't like dials which people painted after the fact but there are exceptions. I do like this one because whoever did the painting seems to have done a great job. We will never know why someone did this but I would imagine it might have been done by a Portuguese immigrant who wanted to show where he was from and that he was proud of his new home too. I doubt that the dial is original to the watch as I would expect to see a Burlington dial on this watch.

Anyway it is an interesting dial.

musicguy likes this.
  3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Well said, that's what I thought too.

Rob

4. Jason sta

Jason sta Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your help. I was thinking it should have a Burlington dial as well. To be honest, I didn't realize it was a Burlington watch until later. After examining the dial under loupe, I will concur that it is paint. If you look close enough, you can see the brush strokes. I didn't even think to see if it were paint until you said something. I will agree with you saying it was it was done well.