• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Illinois Monark 21J?

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Pat,

In their Illinois book, Meggers & Ehrhardt don't list a Monark by that spelling in the private label section. Monarch, yes! And no 21 jewel, 12-size Illinois is listed under the Monarch spelling, either. That serial number is listed as 12-size, 21-jewel, pendant set, open-faced, 1st model, grade 274, seemingly made in 1926. I'm as interested in an answer as you are. Stay tuned!

Doug S

Russ Snyder

Jan 1, 2002
Pat,

FYI, your watch is a 12-size, 21-jewel, Grade "274" Model 1 from 1926.

The Illinois Watch Co. made a total of 59,430 watches in this configuration between 1911 - 1926, so yours is one of the later ones. Obviously, not ALL of these 21-jewel Grade 274 watches were marked "Monarch". I have seen them in a variety of other names, however, which is quite characteristic of Illinois.

There are differing opinions as to WHY the company used so many different Private Label markings on their watches, other than those designating a specific company (e.g. Santa Fe Watch Co., Burlington Watch Co., etc., all of which appear in this configuration).

My personal opinion is that many of these "mystery" names like "Monarch" were used as advertising gimmicks -- much like we have today for differing car models. There doesn't seem to be any other meaningful significance to the use of so many names like "Monarch".

Russ