Illinois Laclede

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Steven Thornberry, Oct 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This is a simple 12s, 17J Illinois, whose movement is a grade 255, model 1 from ca. 1916. The movement is a special label marked Laclede. It has what I think is very nice damaskeening and is housed in a case marked Monitor, likely by the Illinois Watch Case Company.

Larry Treiman discussed the significance of the name Laclede in an earlier thread.
    Illinois watch question

Jim Carroll’s Illinois 12s website mentions that the name refers specifically to the Laclede Watch Co. of St. Louis.

I managed to find a couple of advertisements by the Laclede Watch Co. One (see link below) was in the advertising section of the June 1913 issue of Popular Mechanics. The other was also from 1913, but I may not link to it. However, the gist of the ad is the same as that in the Popular Mechanics ad.
    Popular Mechanics

I wonder whether the Laclede Watch Co. might have been established specifically to market Illinois pocket watches, similar to the Leonard Watch Co., which seems to have marketed only New Haven pocket watches.

Dial.JPG Case Back.JPG Inside Case Back.JPG Movement2.jpg

Ethan Lipsig, musicguy and viclip like this.
  2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven,
    I wouldn't worry too much about it being a satellite company for Illinois. The Ad shows the watch with an Illinois dial, like your is.

If I did the math the watch would cost $22. I don't have a 1913 Illinois Price List, but would guess that Laclede would double their profit on these watches,which would be the motive for the marketing campaign.?

PS, you have done a great job of researching, as usual.;)

3. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the comments, JIm. Much appreciated. I wasn't really worried about the status of Laclede vis-à-vis Illinois; it was just a thought in the back of my mind, and there's a lot room there these days.:???::chuckling:

BTW, the second ad I mentioned showed an Illinois watch of the same type but with a dial signed Laclede.

4. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich Registered User

Apr 10, 2013
    toolmaker
    Alton Il.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The LaClede family was quite prominent in central Il. and St.Louis ( Lacledes Landing) in St Louis also there is a town of Laclede south east of Springfield Il. We also Had Laclede steel co. here in town which closed around 2000

Steven Thornberry likes this.
  5. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven,
    I suspect it was all about the MONEY. I dug up some R W Sears stuff we are discussing on another thread and his first watches by Illinois the R. W. Sears watch had his name on the movement but plain dials.

Illinois did not charge anything for your name on the movement but did charge $1 for your name on the dial.

He was buying the movements for $12 and selling them for $14 making a profit of $2 a watch in 3 years he sold out his company for $72,000 and tried banking but returned back to the company after several years.
    So, if Lacledes was making $10+ a watch, they could not go wrong, except for maybe the volume factor......

Steven Thornberry likes this.
  6. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The case it is in is much later than the movement, suggesting it has been recased

Tom

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Is that based on the style of the case, the style of the "Monitor" logo (which was used by both the Illinois WCC and Elgin Giant WCC), or other factors? Not doubting, mind you, just wanting to know.

8. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I do agree with Tom. The style of the case and maybe also
    the extra set of screw mark's that I think I see.
    It may be the short stem Tom is referring to or he
    knows the style case from the 20`s or 30`s

Rob

9. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I also noticed what seemed to be extra screw marks, but the rim has numerous "scuff marks," so I wasn't certain. Nor, of course, did it bother me much. But if a recase, it raises interesting, but probably unanswerable questions, such as when, why, and when the monogram was added.