American PW Illinois Getty Lever Set Assembly?

gary G

Jan 22, 2003
Hello:
16S Stem wind Lever Set illinois 3/4 Plate.
I have assembled this watch and it skips when in winding position. When the lever is pulled out it engages correctly and the watch will set as it should.When the lever is pushed in, what appears to be happening is the ratchet portion (which is built into the plate does not seem to be elevating enough to engage completely with the large ratchet wheel. As a result the watch skips during winding. Actually, the inside the plate ratchet looks as if it would work better when the lever is pulled out. Of course this is not possible because at this point it is in setting position and the setting wheel is lifted so it will engage and set, which it does.There does not appear to be any parts wear problems.
I would appreciate very much if someone experienced with these watches could advise me the proper assembly and if there was a way to check it.
Thanks In advance
gary G

gary G

Jan 22, 2003
Hello:
16S Stem wind Lever Set illinois 3/4 Plate.
I have assembled this watch and it skips when in winding position. When the lever is pulled out it engages correctly and the watch will set as it should.When the lever is pushed in, what appears to be happening is the ratchet portion (which is built into the plate does not seem to be elevating enough to engage completely with the large ratchet wheel. As a result the watch skips during winding. Actually, the inside the plate ratchet looks as if it would work better when the lever is pulled out. Of course this is not possible because at this point it is in setting position and the setting wheel is lifted so it will engage and set, which it does.There does not appear to be any parts wear problems.
I would appreciate very much if someone experienced with these watches could advise me the proper assembly and if there was a way to check it.
Thanks In advance
gary G

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
Gary,
I have seen this before on older pocket watches--where the parts involved are worn and need replacing (if parts are available).
To check this (sometimes works but not always)---push the crown in (with tension) toward the case, while winding at the same time. Then if it winds without skipping--it has worn parts in the winding assembly.

gary G

Jan 22, 2003
Randy:
You are right on the money. Skipping stops when pressure is applied to that area. I looked at this area under a computer microscope and still it was hard to tell. These parts are assembled under a brass bridge in the plate. Any idea how to remove them? Are they friction fit? Perhaps a new plate, if it can be found, is the only way to go.I really appreciate your experience/comment. I saw the parts in the Swigart book but no mention of assembly.

Thanks again
Gary

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
The most common cause of this problem is the stem sleeve in the case is not adjusted properly. This is corrected by removing the movement from the case, removing the stem crown and using a sleeve wrench to turn the stem sleeve deeper into the stem. You then return the crown and movement and see if you have it correct. If not, you repeat the process until you get it right.

There is a problem that is unique to the Getty model of Illinois. Unlike later models, the Getty model does not have a visible crown wheel. Instead it has an interwinding wheel below the barrel bridge. You can just see the arbor sticking out of the barrel bridge near the stem. The hole for this arbor is often warn out of round, which allows the wheel to tilt away from the connecting wheels. If this is the case, you would have to rebush the hole in the barrel bridge. This hole in by Sangamo is just about warn enough that the next time I clean the watch, I shall rebush this hole.

Don Dahlberg

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
I agree it can be sleeve also. The few times I've come across the problem it is usually a worn wheel or as Don says perhaps a worn hole.

Don,
I hope I'm reading you correctly. You used the word "warn" twice and I'm assuming you mean "worn".

gary G

Jan 22, 2003
Don:
I appreciate the detailed comments and suggestions. I cannot seem to get there with a sleeve adjustment.Perhaps I do not have the touch. I can hold my thumb on the ratchet wheel while winding, pressing it toward the winding bridge and it winds perfectly. It is almost as if it is cocked, This leads me to believe as Randy said it is a wear problem. I cannot see where the re bush will accomplish the fix. anyway. Thanks a million to both of you. I will continue to study.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller