Illinois electric railway watches

CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2014
The Illinois Watch Co was located within a vast network of midwestern electric interurban lines. It was therefore natural that it would produce watches needed to keep car schedules. The watches were similar to contemporary railroad watches but with only 17-19 jewels. Production ceased with the rapid decline of the industry in the mid 1920's. Illinois apparently did not advertise these watches and records do not appear to exist. I have managed to collect six different watches and would like to know if there were others.
Ill electric railway watches-1.jpg Ill electric railway watches-2.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Really great collection of electric interurban watches!

Rob

Reactions: grtnev and Bila

CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2014
The only information about Ill elec rr watches I have found is in Meggers and Ehrhardt "American Pocket Watches Illinois Watch Co Encyclopedia & Price Guide." Unfortunately I have to question its accuracy. I have never seen an Elec RR Special 12/14s movement and doubt they were made. I have seen advertised several Interurban specials made for Kay Co.... all have Ill dials. Having been the victim of dial switching I am suspicious of what appear to be several different movements with the same dial. I have attached the relevant portions. The red dots denote my watches.

Elec RR Special and Elec RR Standard p. 240.jpg Interurban special made for Kay Co.  p 244.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
There are a bunch of 12s that are adjusted to 4 positions and one of the
elgin's is called Transit. I wonder if they tried unsuccessfully to introduce them
into the Electric RR

Rob

CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2014
That is a thought...I have seen references to electric railway employees using "Transit" watches. City requirements were much looser.

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
I've always liked the Electric Railroad marked watches and think they make for a great collection.

There are a few others beyond what you posted to look for out there. Here are links to two different ones I had recently, a double-signed hunting case and a dial-only example with script signature and Montgomery numerals ...

Besides the above there are I believe a few more additional variations of Electric Railroad Standard dials, and there is also one early double-signed Electric Railroad Standard variant which is quite rare that has a 3/4 plate (rather than 3-finger bridge) Getty Model movement.

CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2014
I've always liked the Electric Railroad marked watches and think they make for a great collection.

There are a few others beyond what you posted to look for out there. Here are links to two different ones I had recently, a double-signed hunting case and a dial-only example with script signature and Montgomery numerals ...

Besides the above there are I believe a few more additional variations of Electric Railroad Standard dials, and there is also one early double-signed Electric Railroad Standard variant which is quite rare that has a 3/4 plate (rather than 3-finger bridge) Getty Model movement.

I saw your hunting case watch. Unfortunately it was priced well above my bottom feeding budget. I was also wondering if it was a conversion from the usual open face watch. It does appear that the record I previously posted shows a hunting version.

Reactions: DeweyC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoseM.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-