• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Illinois Central Info Needed

bbodnyk

Aug 14, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Country
Region
A friend sent me an Illinois Central pocket watch to take a look at. The serial# is 3138366 and so far it appears to be from 1917. If someone could provide some further info I'd appreciate it or provide a link of where I can go to find out more myself. If it was an Elgin I'd be ok.:)

Thanks
Bruce

Attachments

rrwatch

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2000
Pooler, GA USA
www.antiquewatchmaker.com
Country
Region
Bruce,
Your watch is a Model 4, Grade 404. It is unadjusted, and one of 15,870 movements made in this grade.
You might want to get a copy of Dr. Russ Snyder's Illinois database for your computer. It is a available from NAWCC Chapter 149, Early American Watch Club, for a donation. Contact Jon Hanson at jonontime@aol.com for more information.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Looks to me like an Illinois, 12-size, model 4, grade 404, 17-jewels, pendant set, hunting case model, from 1917. This according to the serial number you give, and according to the "blue book" by Meggers and Ehrhardt. Same as grade 405, but unadjusted. In the "gold book" by the same two authors, a 12-size, grade 404 in a hunting case is not listed! (I see Ed beat me!)

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
It is almost too "painfully" (I use that word deliberately) obvious to mention, but I wonder if your friend is knowledgeable enough about watches to realize that the case seems to be missing its front cover and bezel? OUCH!!

Larry

bbodnyk

Aug 14, 2009
Harrisburg, PA
Country
Region
Yes, the front cover hinge is broken as is the crystal but we do have the bezel. Is a broken hinge something that can be easily fixed?

The watch however has been sitting on my mantle running for the past 10 hours and by my best estimates has lost about 2 seconds. I needs a good cleaning however.