Illinois Burlington - RR Watch?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by MikeB, Feb 12, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MikeB

MikeB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Hi -

I have an Illinois 16 size 21J Burlington with a "Bulldog" RR dial in a RR case, dating from around 1924. The movement specifies that it is adjusted to "positions" but doesn't specify how many.

It is a high grade watch, but would it have been considered railroad approved? Would any Illinois Burlingtons have been considered as such?

Thanks -
    Mike

Mike Bricker

2. MikeB

MikeB Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Hi -

I have an Illinois 16 size 21J Burlington with a "Bulldog" RR dial in a RR case, dating from around 1924. The movement specifies that it is adjusted to "positions" but doesn't specify how many.

It is a high grade watch, but would it have been considered railroad approved? Would any Illinois Burlingtons have been considered as such?

Thanks -
    Mike

Mike Bricker

3. Barry G

Barry G Guest

Most (if not all) of these watches were only adjusted to 3 positions instead of 5, and they were not accepted for use on the majority of railroads.

I'm sure you could find an instance where a particular railroad accepted them for use, but in general they were not railroad approved and would not be considered "railroad" watches.

Regards,

Barry

My Online Pocket Watch Collection

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Mike -

There is an early version of the Illinois Burlington that is a private label of the Sangamo grade and is adjusted to six positions. It is a scarce watch and one I would very much like to find.

There is a photo of one of these at: http://www.interstatetime.com/Posts/images/BurlingtonSangMvt.jpg (thanks to John Cote for maintaining his superb website with many excellent photos).

Fred

5. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mike:

To quote from page 71 of "American Pocket Watches Vol. 2, Illinois Watch Co., Encyclopedia and Price Guide," William Meggers, Jr. & Roy Ehrhardt, Heart of America Press, Kansas City, MO, 1985 (still in print - see Heart of America Press),