Illinois Bunn Special fancy dial

David French

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2013
I recently purchased this Illinois Bunn Special hunting pocket watch. The dial appears to be original and fancy. 24j 18 size. It’s a beautiful watch. This is my personal photo too. My question is I haven’t found any Illinois fancy dial pocket watches at all. Has anyone seen one? Thanks
C2C8CC9C-BA76-446D-A9A0-275A33AA2388.jpeg

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
David, that is absolutely exquisite!

Reactions: David French

John Cote

Staff member
Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
In my experience, fancy dials made for Illinois watches are much more scarce than for most of the other American watch companies. I have always wondered why this is and have not found a satisfactory answer. Anyway, I believe Jones and Horan auctioned a watch with a dial much like yours several years ago but I can't seem to put together a search which will find it. I think I have seen a couple in my life like yours and the similar one Dave showed above. They are not common. That's for sure.

I love your watch. Congrats.

David French

NAWCC Member
Apr 3, 2013
In my experience, fancy dials made for Illinois watches are much more scarce than for most of the other American watch companies. I have always wondered why this is and have not found a satisfactory answer. Anyway, I believe Jones and Horan auctioned a watch with a dial much like yours several years ago but I can't seem to put together a search which will find it. I think I have seen a couple in my life like yours and the similar one Dave showed above. They are not common. That's for sure.

Thank you for your comment and information.

Reactions: grtnev

Nathan Moore

NAWCC Business
Dec 29, 2011
Country

This may or may not be related to this particular dial, but the Springfield Enameling Company was started in 1892 out of the existing dial department at the Illinois Watch factory. Managed by George Mayer, the associated company was tasked with creating enameled watch dials, possibly in the "fancy" style depicted above due to the growing trend in the market. There was an initiative to offer dial manufacturing services to the other watch factories in the country.

Nearly as soon as this operation was in motion, George Mayer was hired by the Suffolk Dial & Enameling Company, and the Springfield Enameling Company was terminated.

It is unclear which dials were manufactured during this short period of time, but this may provide some additional context.

More details and newspaper sources are here:

miguel angel cladera

Sponsor
Donor
Jul 29, 2019
Country
I recently purchased this Illinois Bunn Special hunting pocket watch. The dial appears to be original and fancy. 24j 18 size. It’s a beautiful watch. This is my personal photo too. My question is I haven’t found any Illinois fancy dial pocket watches at all. Has anyone seen one? Thanks
View attachment 714736
I think it is an extraordinary set! Congrats

Diana Kelly

NAWCC Member
Jan 26, 2018
New Hampshire
www.jones-horan.com
Country
Region

Good memory!! I believe this is the one you were searching for: J&H Archive Search

It is similar to Dave (Coatsworth)'s dial. David (French)'s dial is even more neat with the more noticeable pink background.

We don't see too many fancy dials marked for Illinois, either!

41463_03.jpg

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Neat dials. At one time I had a couple and was paying a little attention to how often they turned up, but I sold mine off many years ago. But I did dig up some pictures:

img177.jpg img178.jpg

Both of these were found on 11 or 15 jewel unadjusted grade 18s mvts dating to the mid to late 1880s. Others of this similar style (18s, hour numerals in a light pastel color ring, decorations at the outer track of the 5 minute marks, Illinois Watch Co." in arc, surface not as glossy or "hard" as typical later fancy dials) that I recall seeing also came on mvts from the 1880s or early 1890s.

And because the pics were handy here are 2 other unusual 18s Illinois dials:

img179.jpg img180.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Wow. Fantastic dial!

Rob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
From what we see, the case looks like it could be pretty nice addition to the package, too.

Reactions: musicguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMS
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-