Illinois 18 size pocket Watch

rleegabe

Oct 4, 2001
Alderwood Manor Washington State
Country
Region
What is the best way to adjust the guard pin on a 18 size pocket watch?? Should the pallet be all the way out of the watch, what is the best tool to bend the pin and so on. I am in strange waters as I have never attempted this before.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Guard pins come in many shapes and sizes requiring different procedures for various circumstances.
Not knowing your circumstance without a photo, lets assume it is a straight round pin.
In most cases it will require very little adjustment and would not be safe to do in the watch unless specifically tooled to do so.
Due to the fine adjustment required, my personal procedure to do the pin mentioned above would be as follows.

(1) I mount the pallet by the pin in a collet in the lathe along with a staking punch designed to remove a cylinder pivot per first attached photo.

(2) I then position the punch pin against the pallet and record the hand wheel setting for future reference on how much the pin has bent. second photo

(3) The pallet can now be pushed using the carriage hand wheel in .001" increments for very fine adjustment.

(4) If required the pallet can be pulled by positioning the pallet behind the off set in the punch with the same degree of accuracy. third photo.

(5) The degree of bend can be gauged by comparing to the setting in #2 at any time.

Because of the very fine adjustment required, its often a get lucky thing without mechanical control. Mechanical control allows for very minor highly accurate and safe adjustment.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_82b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_82c.jpeg DSCN1321.JPG

Reactions: viclip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockmart.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre