Illinois 18 size pocket watch losing time

rleegabe

Oct 4, 2001
Alderwood Manor Washington State
Country
Region
I have an Illinois 18 size pocket watch that run's in all positions, when it is on its back the watch gains time, but when I hang it up like it is going to be in your pocket it loses about 20 minutes in 4 hours. Have cleaned it, oiled it, installed a new alloy mainspring. Why would it be losing time in the upright position and gaining time on its back:???:?

Marv

NAWCC Member
Jan 29, 2021
Country
Is this a new watch to you? If not, when did it start misbehaving, after the cleaning?

My guess is the issue is with the balance wheel and/or its jewels, but there are many possible causes..

If you have a timing machine it would help you/us to really understand what is going on. Also, audio of the watch in the various positions might be useful.

Reactions: rleegabe

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
My guess is that there is an issue with the balance.

Have you checked how well it runs in various positione i.e. how big is the swing, It could be that even if the watch runs in all positions it runs with hardly any swing is certain positions and full swing in other.

Do you have access to a timing machine or timing app? If so how well does it run in each position? For example there could be an end shake in the balance that will make the hairspring touch the balance cock or even the center wheel which would explain the gain in time. This would be visable on a timing machine.

Have you listened to the tic tac? Sometimes you can even hear that something changes when you tilt the movement.

rleegabe

Oct 4, 2001
Country
Region
My guess is that there is an issue with the balance.

Have you checked how well it runs in various positione i.e. how big is the swing, It could be that even if the watch runs in all positions it runs with hardly any swing is certain positions and full swing in other.

Do you have access to a timing machine or timing app? If so how well does it run in each position? For example there could be an end shake in the balance that will make the hairspring touch the balance cock or even the center wheel which would explain the gain in time. This would be visable on a timing machine.

Have you listened to the tic tac? Sometimes you can even hear that something changes when you tilt the movement.
I will try what you suggest, I do not have a timing machine, and the few apps I tried really didn't give accurate readings on a couple of watches I tried.

Marv

NAWCC Member
Jan 29, 2021
Country
I will try what you suggest, I do not have a timing machine, and the few apps I tried really didn't give accurate readings on a couple of watches I tried.
My experience is that the apps for phones do not work due to sensitivity and ambient noise issues. The best system I found was something like Watch-O-Scope:

He uses a piezo element as a contact "microphone". The difference from a microphone is that it only picks up sounds through mechanical conduction, so you eliminate a lot of ambient noise. I'm pretty sure that's how the real machine do it. His preamp circuit also acts as a band-pass filter, further improving the sensitivity.

rleegabe

Oct 4, 2001
Country
Region
Is this a new watch to you? If not, when did it start misbehaving, after the cleaning?

My guess is the issue is with the balance wheel and/or its jewels, but there are many possible causes..

If you have a timing machine it would help you/us to really understand what is going on. Also, audio of the watch in the various positions might be useful.
I found it had a cracked lower pallet jewel, now having a heck of a time finding where to buy another.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I like this guy because he has fast turn around time and is very
professional.....and I know him.

Dave's Watch Parts- mainsprings, crystals (including hard to find bullseye crystals), parts for
American pocket watches, parts movements, hands, watchmaker's tools.
Dave's Watch Parts and Tools or e-mail to: dave@daveswatchparts.com

Rob

Reactions: Marv

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
I found it had a cracked lower pallet jewel, now having a heck of a time finding where to buy another.
how badly cracked? One of the problems with American pocket watches or any of the older watches are that the jewels can have natural flaws. So crack isn't necessarily bad broken and lots of pieces are lots of cracks is bad. As this is an 18 size I assume full plate a lot of times the pallet fork jewels end up getting cracked because people have problems putting the watch together. As for that matter all kinds of other jewels can break because the full plate is more difficult for some people.

few apps I tried really didn't give accurate readings on a couple of watches I tried.
My experience is that the apps for phones do not work due to sensitivity and ambient noise issues.
the problem with the apps typically for phones is the microphone isn't really the correct kind. Ideally a watch pickup does not pick up audio sentence picks up the vibration of the watch. But all of the apps are trying to pick up the audio sound and anything else that is in the room with you. You're much better off with a Chinese timing machine it of the 1000 or the 1900 are not that expensive and they work really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Lac
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller