American PW Illinois 16S clutch spring

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I am looking for a clutch lever spring 1532 type 2 for my watch SN 3790974. I bought what I think was a reproduction, poor spring tension, will not allow you to set the hands after winding and setting once, have tried reshaping it to no avail, it stretches out immediately. Any help is appreciated, Jules Borel no longer stocks it. The watch runs impeccibly except for this tiny glitch.

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
Welcome to the message board.

Whenever I need parts for an American pocket watch I start here: Be sure to give them the maker and the serial number.
McCaw's in Ohio may have the part or you could try these suppliers.
Bob McKnight: tbob45@aol.com
Brian Cavanaugh: pwpartsetc@pwatch.com
Bryan Eyring: bdeyring@hotmail.com

If they don't have what you need, you may need to try:
Daves Watch Parts- mainsprings, crystals (including hard to find bullseye crystals), parts for American pocket watches, parts movments, hands, watchmaker's tools.
http://daveswatchparts.com/ dave@daveswatchparts.com

or

Mechanical Watch Supply LLC: http://mechanicalwatchsupply.com/ Look elsewhere 1st, because he admits he charges more, but he has rare and hard to find wrist and pocket watch parts. rd@mechanicalwatchsupply.com

Let us know how it turns out.

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Richie,

I think I just found one for you. PM me if you're still looking for it, and I'll send you a photo to confirm I have the correct part and we can go from there.

Thanks,
Ben

onewatchnut

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 8, 2004
Chesapeake, VA
Country
Region
I have a seventh model on the bench right now. It came in after someone else had recently service it. There were several problems requiring correction. One would almost think it was a test movement for an apprentice.

The clutch lever spring broke when I went to wind it after fixing the other problems. The spring is a 1532 style 2. When it arrived the spring was installed with the main part of the circular spring facing left toward the edge of the plate, away from the large open area. With all the other problems I encountered, I have no way to tell if was installed correctly. Does any one have a picture of the correct spring installation? I don't want to purchase a replacement and install it incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!
Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-